Thinking of selling my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am feeling more and more overwhelmed by the "beast" as I like to call it. I am thinking I want something smaller. Ideally I would like to sell the tank and stand and use that money to buy a smaller set up, but I don't know if that would work. Could I ask a fair price for the beast and have enough to cover a new, smaller setup?

If you looked around you may be able to find a fish store that would trade out used tanks with you and give you credit for the larger tank. That would give you a little extra cash. The equipment that you have for the large tank should be able to work for a smaller tank as well. As for your fish make sure that they would be able to fit in there as well. If your going for 55 gal. your critters would be fine I think.

I was thinking stepping down to a 75. I really have no idea what a fair price to ask for the 150 would be, and I know its hard to give that kind of pricing advice on line, but if anyone would be willing to help me figure out how much to ask for this thing, I would be greatful.

Where I live, I see setups in the paper for 500 - 2500 dollars. I have seen other posts here which point to the fact that you'll obviously never get out of it what you have in it..Ok, well, rarely. I think MYTY1705 may have a good idea. See if a lfs would be interested in some trading. I can't see why they wouldn't be willing to trade your complete rig for a nice 30G Hex or something along those lines. if it helps, I have a 75G and a 29G reef. I prefer the 29G. Probably just due to the fact its in my computer room so I see it more, but the larger tanks are imo more work.

GL!

If I were closer (or even on the same coast).......sigh. With all you've been through with the tank, I'm not surprised you feel overwhelmed. I hate to see you give up on it though. But, you gotta do what's right for you. So, I agree you should talk to your lfs and see what they can do for you as a trade down. Good luck.

Do you really think going from a 150 to a 75 will save you that much hassle? I think at best you may break even if you just trade out the tank and keep your equipment. I would try to stick with it. The bigger the better...

I doubt there will be that much of a time savings going from 150 to 75. At best will be glass cleaning :)

Still the same hardware maintenance, and if you bring your livestock over then the same livestock maintenance....

I would recommend you stick it out, and work on automating more of what you do (self cleaning stuff, timers, etc....)

One of the main hassels is the height of the stand. I can reach just a little past halfway in the tank. (standing on a chair) I could just get a new stand, but if I am going to have to break everything down anyway, I would rather have a tank that doesn't require 4 people to move. I will go and talk to my lfs, see what they think. Thanks everyone :D

A 120 is really a perfect shape. It would also allow you to keep most of your existing livestock (providing you're not already bursting at the seams, lol).

I stand on a chair to maintain my tank (that I keep right next to the tank) but at least I can reach the bottom of the 24" tank depth (plus the extra for the hood lip). It is rare that I have to take the tongs out to reach for a fallen coral. Most of the time I can just reach in. I rearrange my sand bed with the end of my turkey baster.

Good luck picking "the perfect size"! I wouldn't want a tall tank either.

I have to use a step ladder to get my arm to the bottom of my tank. My stand is also pretty high off the ground though. Go to home depot or lowes and get a nice monster step ladder, that will git er done.

Those step ladders are the trick. They have a platform on the top so you can move around, as well as something to hold onto. The top of my tank is 75" so I know what you mean. 4 people moving a tank is half the fun. If it makes you fell better it takes 10 to move mine.

Meredith.. u've put so much effort into the tank already.. keep it going..! i dont think u should ditch it..! it'll all be worth it once its done..!

and brenden.. ur tank is..quite large..hahaha hurry and post pics..!

Back
Top Bottom