Vlamingi tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering how big of a tank? There is one at my LFS that is healthy and doesnt swim too much............ hes BIG, ~1', and I feel bad cuz no one buys him. Hes in a 125, just wondering if I could get him.

Ya IK............ I just feel sooooo bad. Ya know he doesnt have a home.......... and stuff.......................... lol. I have just heard about tanks with alot of fantastic fish (I think huma-huma has a tank like this) and was wondering if he could live in a 150? Ik exactly what your talking about too......... but would he be ok?

not to be the "tang police" but since you asked. doing a little research liveaquaria suggests a 360 gallon tank for them, and the list that they have compiled over on reef central for tangs says min tank volume 350 gallons, and min length of tank 10 feet. your 150 would be a step up from what he is in though. It is a very big fish and is still only half of its full size.

I've heard that don't get too big in captivity and the biggest one I've ever seen was a little over a foot in an aquarium.

crister13 said:
I've heard that don't get too big in captivity and the biggest one I've ever seen was a little over a foot in an aquarium.

Even though, it is a foot in a little tank...i bet he will grow huge later on. There are always exceptions een if the tang is in captivity. I say no, dont do it.

Ya ik ik I just feel so bad for him. He's been in a 125 for months with little rock. He doesn't seem to be getting bigger either. I also want to do what's right for him though....... Uggggggg

Ya I thought the nasos would be good. I just feel so bad about that vlamingi. I wish I could bring him home, but I want to do what's right. If I had a bigger tank it would be a no brainer. God. Ugggggggggg

If you can provide a better home then go for it might be a good motive to upgrade later

Im gonna have to agree on the "if you can provide him with a better home do it" statement.. just please keep in mind that a 1' tang is gonna create a huge bio-load...make sure your setup can handle it

How long do you think I would be able to keep him? And do you think there is a slight chance he's done growing and he'll be good for life? Thanks so much for the help so far!

gotto be honest ,,i would not get it...I know i said it would be "OK" ,and it probably would ,,but if he has a 125 to himself vs. being in your growing 150 won't be better IMO ..I kinda wanted to see this monster too..a 1 foot tang ,,,nice ..Maybe start checking CL now for an upgrade ..Things like this happen to all of us...We upgrade from a 30 to a 75 then a 150 and think we are set..Soon to realize a 150 really isn't the huge tank we thought it was..

I would have an 8x3 tank but I'm 13 and my parents won't let me get any more tanks. I have 2 salt, 1 turtle, and one fresh. Believe me I want to, but I'm pretty positive it's not gonna happen. :( I just wish SOMEONE would buy him.

crister13 said:
I would have an 8x3 tank but I'm 13 and my parents won't let me get any more tanks. I have 2 salt, 1 turtle, and one fresh. Believe me I want to, but I'm pretty positive it's not gonna happen. :( I just wish SOMEONE would buy him.

You should post it on CL lol..

The length of housing would be dependent on how he reacts to being in an occupied 150... may go well may not

Back
Top Bottom