Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

svegas82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my nitrates and phosphates are high I have a 220 gallon SW tank I was wondering how much of a water change I should do...I've been doing 35 gallons every week now with ro/di water. Should I be doing more or something different?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This has been a pretty common question this week. If your nitrates are at 40, a 50% water change will only bring it down to 20. So, a 35 gallon water change on a 220 system is only lowering your nitrates by 6 each time you do a water change. So, your 40 is now down to 32 and will rise from there until your next water change.

As a matter of general maintenance the amount of water changes you are doing should be fine. I also have a 220 gallon system and do one 70 gallon change per month and one 15 gallon "mini-change" (that is devoted more to the refugium) per month and almost always have zero nitrates. I also run a phosphate reactor. I think you need to look more at what is the cause of your high nitrates and phosphates. What type of filtration system are running? Before I switched to a refugium I had continual problems with high nitrates using a wet dry system. How many fish (and their type and size)? Are you over feeding (easy to do)?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a wet dry with about 18 fish mainly pretty small fish but some will grow big... I just thought about buying a reactor but I really want to change over to a refugium first

Almost always these issues stem from overfeeding and overstocking.
How often and how much are you feeding? I feed my reef tank three times a week, for example.
When it comes to 'small fish that will grow big', they are still big fish. Big fish eat a lot and also give big poop, which leads you more down this same path.

I've cut down on feeding now I'm feeding seaweed for tangs at 4 then at 8 I feed 2 little pieces of krill and a cube of shrimp. Thanks that's good to know maybe I'll cut down to every other day with the shrimp

Feeding everyday def sounds like what is causing your elevated levels then. If you struggle at all with remembering when to feed, as I did, there are some apps out there where you can have it set reminders for you to feed, do water changes, change out filter media...whatever. Is really helpful when you work turn over shifts or an excessive amount of hours.

I use an iPhone app called Aquaplanner. It's excellent and easy to use. Couldn't imagine trying to successfully maintain a tank without one of these apps.

Feeding everyday def sounds like what is causing your elevated levels then. If you struggle at all with remembering when to feed, as I did, there are some apps out there where you can have it set reminders for you to feed, do water changes, change out filter media...whatever. Is really helpful when you work turn over shifts or an excessive amount of hours.

Ok so my nitrates have gotten worse I've cut down on feeding removed a fish and now my corals are struggling...I'm not sure what else to do

Big wc, and cleaning of your wet dry system as they can trap detritus and raise nitrate levels.

Big wc, and cleaning of your wet dry system as they can trap detritus and raise nitrate levels.

So cleaning bio balls is something I should do? A little at a time I assume?

Personally I'd start to get rid of the bio balls altogether and rely on your live rock.

Back
Top Bottom