What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So this is where I am at with my main tank, have some great fish and inverts, really love watching and feeding them. Have a second tank run off the first with safe soft corals, all ready for seahorses. Hoping this week to get my first pair. Will try to attach some pics. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398222002.455287.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398222021.660847.jpg

Im new to marine, ive got all the water in and 2 bits of live rock. I need a lot more live rock but im not sure how to grow it? Will it just grow from the other pieces that are in there or do i need to add in anything? Also salinity level is best?

Im new to marine, ive got all the water in and 2 bits of live rock. I need a lot more live rock but im not sure how to grow it? Will it just grow from the other pieces that are in there or do i need to add in anything? Also salinity level is best?

live rock don't grow ! it's the bacteria on the rock that grows
you can add dry rock to what you have and start your cycle from there
here is a good read on starting a cycle
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Yeah i understand its not the rock that grows! I worded that a bit rong! Haha so the bacteria thats on the rock thats in there basically just spreads to the dry rock? Thanks!

The beauty first , knowing I can achieve my goal of something that seems very hard , prove my husband wrong ,and really want to get into this hobby , freshwater tanks are beautiful but to have a saltwater tank is the cats meow!

I have been reading so much about saltwater tanks , I will admit NERVES . 90 gal tank not sure about what size to go with a sump tank yet I was told 20 gal long then told 40 gal , ??? I am buying it pice by pice want to buy the best my money will pay for going with octopus skimmer think that is a good choice , picking up my tank 21st so going to buy the pump then too , skimmer in a week after that , but what size should I go with for the sump tank? I swear I'm not retorted , just new

I used to look after tropical fish for years and hated walking past all the beautiful marine fish and corals in my local fish shop knowing i couldnt have them. I now realise how expensive it is to keep a reef aquarium but just love the hobby. I never get bored and the more i learn, the more i enjoy the hobby

I started with a goldfish won from a school fair, then i looked after freshwater tropical fish but couldn't stop looking at the marine fish in my local fish store. After 2 years of begging the wife i got my marine tank for my birthday. She is good to me

Nemo!!! Mum wanted a little nemo tank, so I always loved saltwater and reef tanks in general but if it wasn't for mum and the nemo I wouldn't own one

I was in charge of the freshwater fish at Spokane Pet Center in 1988, but I couldn't take my eyes off of the invert tank and the large saltwater display tank. I vowed to one day have one, even if it meant no TV. At that time, it was believed that you couldn't safely keep inverts and fish together because of diseases, when I found out about reef keeping, I knew that I wanted in.

Started with cichlid tank and wanted more than just fish and loved corals and taking care of things

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fido.... At 6 I was given a blackmoor goldfish named Fido. Others had cats and dogs, but fido was my best friend. Each day and every day I would spend hours in front of my fish bowl and talk and hang out with my buddy. I would clean his bowl religiously, feed just enough, and at night read him a bed time story. Sounds a bit much now, but growing up I was infatuated with him. Fido lived for twelve years, and In the end was kept in a 2 foot tank still beside my bed, even at me being 18. Each morning and night I would have to place my finger in his bowl, so he could suck on my finger or else he would get agitated and dart from end to end. I tried many a time to introduce a friend, but he wouldn't have none of it. He would chase, nip and constantly harass till I got rid of them. When he did pass away in 1993 I wouldn't leave my room for days and was truly devestated at his loss. I loved that little fish and so now my 1000 ltr full reef tank, is a tribute to him, and the joy it brings me, is almost as much joy as he brought me.

Hi all' started off with tropical but always ended up in the marine section in the shop' new it would happen sooner or later lol

Same' it's also another way to relax! Can't get over how much I've learnt already it's a great hobby

Back
Top Bottom