Which CUC to get for 29g Biocube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just wondering what CUC I should be looking to get for a 29g biocube. If I go to reefcleaners.com they have a CUC pack with hermits for a 29g tank. Should I be looking to get something like this, or smaller? It seems like a lot to me, but I just don't know. Does this sound alright?:

26 dwarf ceriths
11 nassarius
10 florida ceriths
5 large and 3 small to medium nerites
6 assorted hermit crabs

I think the total volume for the biocube is 29g, not just the display so im not really sure about what I should get. Any advice?

FishN00b83 said:
I'm just wondering what CUC I should be looking to get for a 29g biocube. If I go to reefcleaners.com they have a CUC pack with hermits for a 29g tank. Should I be looking to get something like this, or smaller? It seems like a lot to me, but I just don't know. Does this sound alright?:

26 dwarf ceriths
11 nassarius
10 florida ceriths
5 large and 3 small to medium nerites
6 assorted hermit crabs

I think the total volume for the biocube is 29g, not just the display so im not really sure about what I should get. Any advice?

Looks like a lot to me. I have a BC29. I'd do.

10 dwarf ceriths
11 nassarius (I like them and they stir the sand up)
5 Florida snails
2 and 2 on the nerites
And keep the hermits don't get big ones though.

Is it a new tank? Remember you CUC has to eat too so if there isn't much going on they will starve.

Some don't even have CUC's until issues arise.

I myself added a CUC when I had a diatom bloom and have had them since.

Just my opinion on this.

EDIT:

Also I sometimes think although a good place reef cleaners tends to go a little over board. I sent them a video of my tank and asked for there suggestion on a CUC and they had wrote me back with double of what your list is. Way way too much.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a new setup but I got the diatom bloom a few days ago. I had a life explosion last week after I added the last bunch of LR. I have a ton of these little fast bug looking things, a ton of these little snail looking things, some bristle stars, and the coralline algae is already building on my filter intake and my powerhead. I think these are all signs my tank is cycled no?

The reefcleaners CUC did seem overkill to me, I guess I'll cut it down a bit and see how it works out. I do have a fire shrimp, a dwarf zebra crab, and two nassarius snails from my 6g that are doing great in there now. I guess it's time to add more

FishN00b83 said:
Yeah it's a new setup but I got the diatom bloom a few days ago. I had a life explosion last week after I added the last bunch of LR. I have a ton of these little fast bug looking things, a ton of these little snail looking things, some bristle stars, and the coralline algae is already building on my filter intake and my powerhead. I think these are all signs my tank is cycled no?

The reefcleaners CUC did seem overkill to me, I guess I'll cut it down a bit and see how it works out. I do have a fire shrimp, a dwarf zebra crab, and two nassarius snails from my 6g that are doing great in there now. I guess it's time to add more

The ONLY way to know that your tank is cycled is to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to make sure you have them in check.

Rhino said:
The ONLY way to know that your tank is cycled is to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to make sure you have them in check.

I knew that...what I meant was I think the tank is ready for some fish. I added live sand, live water, live rock and a bunch of live rock with a ton of green and purple coraline algae that is spreading all over the place already. the first day I saw .25 spike in ammonia, and then everything has been 0ed out since.

My snails, shrimp, and hermit have been absolutely fine since I put them in. I have a ton of bristleworms, some new snails, and a few bristle star fish that seem to be fine too. The purple coraline is starting to build on the filter intake and the powerhead. The green coraline is all over a piece of live rock that was next to it.

Back
Top Bottom