Why is my skimmer being stupid? Also removed my substrate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, thanks everyone for helping me. I got all all my substrate out. YEA! Anyways, I have a coralife 220 skimmer and it worked GREAT in the beginning. Now on the highest setting it doesn't come within 6 inches of the collection cup and it doesn't bubble furiously at ALL. I do have vinegar so should I make a 50/50 solution and run the pump for a couple minutes? Should I run water through the Ir tube? HELP ME!!!!!! I also don't have the money for a new skimmer, so ANY advice to get it running well would help so much. Thanks!

Any kinks in flexible tubing? Water level that the pump is in staying constant? Sorry, my experience is limited.

Few questions:

1) How long has the skimmer been running?
2) What is the depth of the water where the skimmer is located?
3) Is the bioload in your sig the bioload in the tank where your skimmer is?
4) What are your trates at?

The best fix for a Coralife SuperSkimmer is.......
Lay it behind the back wheel of your car, put the car in reverse and back up. :)
Besides that, check where the airline attached to the pump. The nipple may be clogged from salt creep and is restricting the air intake. Pull off the airline, straighten out a paper clip and jam it in the hole to clear it out.

Roughly six months+. I just added some sand which increased the depth, and it close to the cup now. Which means its working. It is too high though (if power goes out). Bioload is same as in the sig. I dont really test my water. I know I know. I do 30% pwcs a week with Rodi water though. Also, all my livestock is doing very very well.

Now of course after following ccs advice it works. Thanks a lot! And I forgot to turn it off while doing it. So......... I'm wet now lolz

If the airline was restricted it would pump the water at a higher level but they so get salt in them from when u turn off the pump and turn it back on

Back
Top Bottom