Yellow goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok fill me in on the yellow goby the lfs has a couple. I was thinking of getting. Are they ok in a reef tank? What do the little gritters eat?

I have two perk clowns one yellow tang and a Lawn Mower Blenny.

Thanks In advance Dewey

Ya they are cool in a reef. They eat stuff they filter from the sand aswell as other kinds of meaty food like blender mush.

Cant recall the size of your tank but they will not be enemies of any of your tankmates. I got two and they are caracters.

wont they eat all the life in the sand in no time?? thought that most sand sifting fish are a no no in a reef tank unless its very very large ?? or are they diff than a diamond watchman goby ??

I had once a pair in my 55 tank. It will not harm sessile invertebrates, but larger specimens will eat smaller ornamental shrimps. This fish will attack other shrimp gobies. They are known to jump out of an open aquarium!

Happy Holidays!
:)

Will goby eat up all things in the LS and starve to death? Some post reply that they will starve themselves to death when the food is all gone.

mansiz said:
Will goby eat up all things in the LS and starve to death? Some post reply that they will starve themselves to death when the food is all gone.
It will greatly depend on the species of goby. There are many benthic types that spend most of their time sifting the substrate for foods. These will often be the ones that will not last long in a captive environment even if they accept prepared foods. Other less dependant species that do not rely on the sanbed fauna as their food source are the ones you should opt for instead.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom