Yellow Tail Damsels Digging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jellybeanie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay I've had issues with my YTDs before but I think everything is fine now. Or else maybe…
I've noticed that one of them goes over to the rock that they hide in and bites onto the base of it while digging his tail into the sand. He then just shakes it wildly, digging a hole and throwing the sand all over the place.
Why is he doing this? I looked online and found nothing on them burrowing so I don't think he is trying to hide in a hole. There are plenty of hiding spaces. Could he be building a nest for future mating? The two stay together a lot.
They are in the 200 litre tank alone with a pair of clowns, a lot of LR, a fire shrimp and 5 hermits. There's also two tube worms and a flowerpot coral that someone gave me as a freebie when they were setting up a new tank. I'm new enough and the tank hasn't being running for very long, 3 months plus the cycling period. I've had the two for ages (got them as they are supposed to be pretty hardy).
I was just wondering if something was wrong or if they are planning to mate. I have no idea what gender they are. I can't cope right now with loads of baby damsels. Too overwhelming. What's going on? Thanks :fish2::fish1:

I've seen other fish do that. It's no big deal. Maybe just making a place to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom