Yellow tang, cleaner shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read from a web site saying that if you are keeping yellow tang, or should I said any tang, you must have a cleaner shrimp to clean out the internal parasite that the tang would produce, is that true? Anyone keeping tang without cleaner shrimp and still got a healthy tang? BTW my false percular clown's skin seems like dropping, I did'nt do any fresh water bath, did'nt use any medication, and my water parameter is alright, but the damsel keeps dashing at the clown. But from the wound, it doesn't look like nipping.

Anyone keeping tang without cleaner shrimp and still got a healthy tang?
I am. I have a Regal Tang that Is doing Fine.. I had some cleaners in there up until a few weeks.. 1 of them was eaten by my plate coral and the other died from some sort of Contamination with a DIY sump.. My tang seems to still be doing good.. FWIW I would just get a cleaner.. they are fun to watch..

HTH<
James

I have a white cheek tang w/ 2 cleaners although the only fish they ever clean is my bi-color blenny. Just got a fire cleaner, maybe he'll do a better job :roll:

We used to have 3 tangs with no cleaner and only the powder brown and powder blue developed ich. Now we have 3 tangs with both cleaner shrimp and a cleaner neon goby. Even though you dont see the parisites most of the time, the cleaners do leading to happier tangs. I would recomend getting some kind of a cleaner

you must have a cleaner shrimp

Always be warry of advice that says you MUST do something or that you MUST have a particular combination of things. I have had a perfectly healthy yellow tang in a tank with no shrimp at all for months with narry a sign of ich.

Its also important to know that having a cleaner shrimp will not keep you from having a parasite problem. The tang has to first be willing to let the shrimp do its business.

fishfreek said:
The tang has to first be willing to let the shrimp do its business.

Yeah, my fish do not let my cleaners on them to clean, even after a good 3 months or so of being together :cry:

I had a Yellow tang for about 5 months before introducing a Fire shrimp and Cleaner shrimp. I did this because my Yellow tang was getting small brown parasite all over. I suggest you get a Fire red Shrimp for your Tand because they have bigger claws and clean bigger fish as for the cleaner shrimp the clean smaller fish.

I could be wrong. :D

I still belive that you all underestimate a good neon cleaner goby they are only about 10 dollars and they eat the same as your tangs will. Everyone of my tangs imediatly let both the shrimp and goby clean them. After around 2 day both cleaners had set up their own stations at opposite ends of the tank.

seriously whats 10 bucks

Back
Top Bottom