Your favorite corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2nicewitit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. Say i was wondering and trying to do some basic reasearch on coral compatability. I've heard about the possibilities of chemical warfare on one another.

So far i have a pink octabublle coral, a galexia, and a colony of button polyps.

I want to add a few more but dont know what my next choices should be. Evertyhing, currently is has a lot of space. I was about to pick up a yellow umbrella leather but thought i'd asked first.

Any thoughts on some colorful and relatively cheap corals that you guys couldrecommend? What have been your experiences w/ corals? Looking for some personal favorites and why?

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I have 2 actinic blue lights and a MH. Tank is a 46 Gal Bow w/ alot of waterlow.

Soft corals of Sinularia and Sarcophyton are the most notorious allelopathic corals of which the Umbrella leather is usually Sarcophyton. What allelopathy means for the aquarist is noticing signs of inhibited growth and tissue necrosis. One of my favorite corals, Sinularia flexibilis, is well known for releasing its particular chemical substance (flexibilide) and able to kill nearby hard corals. Mixed reef tanks that comprise of soft, lps, and sps often show signs of irritation in corals as they battle each other either through allelopathy or physical and often require the use of carbon and more frequent water changes in hopes of diluting aggressive substances. Although the possibilities always exist, I have yet to experience a coral completely dieing off in aquariums due to such unless the tank was plain ignored for some time.

Now that I have rambled, these would be a couple of my favorite corals:

Euphyllia (Any and all!)
Rhodactis mussoides *metallic morph* (Often called elephant ear, but not to be confused with the fish-eating coral Amplexidiscus)
Sinularia flexibilis (Allelopathic)
Fungia, Disk coral
Caulastrea, Candy cane
Xenia
Cespitularia, Blue xenia!
Blastomussa wellsi/merleti

One of my favorites is my brain corals. They are LPS corals and need room between them as they have sweeper tentacles that come out at nite. Here are mine

000_0252.jpg

100_0817-med.jpg

Acropora Sp. (Scripps Acro ORA)
1001635tn0.jpg

Orange Monti Cap (also an ORA Coral)
1001632zk1.jpg

I have tons of other favorites just don't have them in my tank...

What is the wattage of your metal halide? What size tank do you have? What type of flow do you have? What type of lighting is providing the actinic? All important questions that should be answered prior to suggesting any coral for your tank.

Some of that info is in his sig. I think that is why everyone was making recommendations based on that.

Some of that info is in his sig. I think that is why everyone was making recommendations based on that.

Yea pretty much. i have a 250 watt MH, 2 95watt blue actinic 2 maxi jets 900s and 1 koralia 1.

Also wanted to say those are some beautiful corals there. The coloration is blowing me away on a few of them.

that Acropora Sp taht Ziggy's has really has caught my eye.

Thanks for the insight. I've made note on some of them that have been mentioned and i'll be doing some more homework.

Thanks again.

I guess I could add to my favs my brain coral. I've had to take it out of my reef because of a silly fish. It seems to be very happy in my frag tank.

trachyphylliats0.jpg

hey i found some coral i want online its priced kinda high but my gf just told me i could get it when i get my income tax back here is a pic of it can you tell me if they have named it right (war coral) http://shop.jendub.com/productzoom.s...355812071.jpeg can ya tell me some good facts about this coral like its hardiness and care level and nutrition facts please i love the looks of this coral.

Back
Top Bottom