Northern Virginia And D.C. Aquarium Societies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wanted to ping the forum to see if there any established societies/groups/meet-ups for Aquarists/Fishkeepers in the Northern Virginia or D.C. Metropolitan Area.

Welcome to the site :)

I'm just down the road from you a bit in Stafford. I don't know of any clubs / societies around here...but I'm not surprised since I can't even find a decent lfs within an hours drive. I have heard there's some social groups further up north in the Baltimore area. If you find a decent lfs...let me know cause they're not within site of me!

P.S.- avoid the Woodbridge store and especially Maru Pets down my way.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that one of our admins neilanh (sp?) is active up that way and might have some info for you. You can shoot him a PM if he doesn't see the thread.

WAMAS for marine (mainly reef)
PVAS for freshwater
CCA for cichlids
GWAPA for plants

I'm just down the road from you a bit in Stafford. I don't know of any clubs / societies around here...but I'm not surprised since I can't even find a decent lfs within an hours drive. I have heard there's some social groups further up north in the Baltimore area. If you find a decent lfs...let me know cause they're not within site of me!

I was going to a Super Pets in Annandale, but they just moved and haven't publicized their new location.

We bought our pet rats there, and my neighbor has been buying his fish and supplies there for years.

I will let you know when they update their location, but I doubt it is going to be any closer to you in Fredricksburg

eco23 said:

Did you ever find a good LFS? Maru was a nightmare, and thank goodness that they shut down recently! I literally only have a petsmart and PETCO here in fredericksburg.

I went to a place out in alexandria va called pristine aquarium.

Super pets new location is Address: 5230A Port Royal Road, Springfield VA 22151

Hours: (Mon-Sat 11am - 9pm), (Sun 12pm-5pm)

Telephone: 571-730-4922

FYI Do not go to super pets if you are looking for any aquarium stuff. They mainly have bird, hamster, and reptile stuff.

I have had luck with Centerville Aquarium. It is just south of 66 and 29. Decent size and the people are very friendly and helpful. Expecially for me being a newbie!

I have been going to blue ribbon koi. It's about an hour drive to get there from me but I feel like its worth the drive. Employees are helpful and the fishes seem healthy. I bought 3 fishes from there and they are doing fine so far.

Hello all.

First post here.
I'm in Merrifield. I end up going to the Petland in Fairfax for corals, the Petco in Fairfax City for fish on Tuesdays when fish come in and Congressional Aquarium in Rockville for equipment and more "niche-y" items. I have been meaning to check out the place in Centreville and a place in Manassas.

Super Pets

Just a heads up but I called super pets and they should be opening their "fish" section soon. They have most of their old tanks on craiglists currently.

Some great deals for those of you who don't have a tank yet or want to upgrade!

CCA, by far the best group locally. There is a awesome CCA convention going on in march 8-10th. In Gaithersburg md. I'm hoping to score some awesome new more rare cichlids myself.

Aquamania is this weekend 2/28-3/2 in Gaithersburg.

I'm in Reston and I mainly go to Centreville Aquarium in Centreville or Vienna Aquarium in Leesburg for fish, plants and advice. Petland in Fairfax is pretty good, too, for general supplies.

I'm in Reston and I mainly go to Centreville Aquarium in Centreville or Vienna Aquarium in Leesburg for fish, plants and advice. Petland in Fairfax is pretty good, too, for general supplies.

Hey Robin! I used to go to Vienna aquarium years ago when it was in Vienna. Did not realize it moved.
It seems like other areas in the commonwealth (Richmond, Hampton Roads) have a much nicer selection of shops than the DC Metro area.

Hi FreshH2o,

We really don't have many good options in the DC metro area, do we?
Maybe I need a road trip to do some exploring! I'd love to see some other
Options when it comes to aquariums, fish and plants!

Hi FreshH2o,

We really don't have many good options in the DC metro area, do we?
Maybe I need a road trip to do some exploring! I'd love to see some other
Options when it comes to aquariums, fish and plants!

I don't think so. Maybe I need to get out more. I usually do most of my shopping online. Not for tanks though.
There are a few clubs in the area. I have been meaning to get to one of the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society auctions. There is one coming up next week in Fairfax: http://www.pvas.com/auctions.php

Back
Top Bottom