10 gal. advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So first off, I am new to the site and would like to introduce myself. I'm only 13 years old. I have a ten gallon tank with 2 platies, 2 cories, 6 red cherry shrimp (3 of which are the wild coloration), and a bunch of live plants. Now I know that I shouldn't only have 2 cories and 2 platies. The 2 cories were "rescued". My LFS had to give them away because some kid dumped salt (I have no clue where he got it) into thier aquarium. They gave me $10 with the cories and I figured that it was the right thing to do. They will probably find a new home soon. As for the platies, I have one male red wag and one female sunburst wag. I used to have another female, but the male just didn't pick on her at all and the other was getting a lot of pressure from him. So I sold her (a little disappointing, but I thought it was the right thing to do). She will be getting another buddy soon.:)I have a ph of about 7.8 (yet another reason why I need to rehome the cories) and both my gh and kh are high. My amonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all perfect. Oh! I forgot toadd that I have 25-30 platy fry in an external refugium. I have to sell them at around 5 weeks so that they don't reek havoc biologically. So my question is, what do you guys think that I could do better. Anything from stocking to fish choice to...etc. Thanks for any help andd I will specify anything that is in need of more detail.

Nice to see another younger member here like myself!:) Welcome to AA! You could do a school of nano fish like ember tetras, chili rasboras (my absolute favorite), harlequin rasboras, and celestrial pearl danios. There are many many more! IMHO, platies don't belong in anything smaller than a 20G because of their large bio-load, so you might have to rehome them, sorry!

Are your cory's pygmies? Also ph can be adapted to in small fluctuations, so it's not a huge concern. I use my ten gallon as a breeder and right now it's home to two females. If you get a larger tank go one male 3 females to spread the males pestering.

You can do cpd's, chili rasboras, rcs, a bristlenose place, and really make it worthwhile. Also maybe try some driftwood, sometimes that can lower ph, and maybe to a more comfortable level for you.

With the platys right now how often do you change water? Ask all you can, your hearts in the right place

Chronos313 said:
Are your cory's pygmies? Also ph can be adapted to in small fluctuations, so it's not a huge concern. I use my ten gallon as a breeder and right now it's home to two females. If you get a larger tank go one male 3 females to spread the males pestering.

You can do cpd's, chili rasboras, rcs, a bristlenose place, and really make it worthwhile. Also maybe try some driftwood, sometimes that can lower ph, and maybe to a more comfortable level for you.

With the platys right now how often do you change water? Ask all you can, your hearts in the right place

+1 it's the tannins that lower the pH. You could also try peat, that's been known to lower the pH. However, a stable pH is better than trying to correct it. Fish can adapt to the pH, so I wouldn't worry too much.

+1 on the platy rehome. You'll have to keep up on your water changes if you keep them. 50% weekly. I have 4 in my 60 g and it seems they're always pooping....constantly!

Welcome to the site!
IMO the platys are fine in the 10g. A trio of platys would be a nice fit as long as fry are kept to an absolute minimum. What kind of cories? pH isn't a concern. As long as it's stable it's fine. Don't go messing with it. It will do more harm than good.

Alright, first, thanks for all of the replies! I really didn't expect that many so fast. The cories are panda cories (from what I know they are a smaller species). I change 30% weekly right now. I do have a 50 gallon that used to be my parents saltwater tank. They said that I could have it in may if I kept up with the 10. So I was thinking about having assorted livebearers in that and then my 10 gal would serve as a fry tank. But converting it from a saltwater to a freshwater would require new filtration, substrate, etc. (super expensive for me). Hopefully, that would all work out. Right now I am trying to earn as much money as I can.

Do you think that It would be ok if I were to sell the cories(if I didn't have to I would love to keep them, but they seem to like larger shoals and acidic water), then I could buy another female platy for a trio?

Not too shabby for someone your age. Hey one thing I did as a kid was made a contract with my rents that for extra house duties I made a few bucks. It'll show dedication, self reliability, and maturity. Maybe even some neighborly yard work for 5 bucks a yard and explain your goals

IMO the pandas will be fine for now. If you are upgrading in a few months you can move them and add to their group then. Honestly don't worry too much about the pH, etc. They would be use to it by now. Stability is the key, not the number itself.

Thanks, you seem to really understand my situation. Right now I babysit my 4 little bros for my mom for about 2 bucks an hour. I do yard work for my parents and the neighbors for about 4 bucks an hour. I just recently blew a bunch of it on rcs for 5$ a piece(I bought six). My plants were starting to get algae on them. I need them in pristene condition because I propogate them and sell them to my LFS. Thanks for the understanding and advice guys.

Thanks mumma, I also run CO2 which doesn't do much to the ph at all(which is what I expected), but the plants grow significantlly better. If that changes anything.

Back
Top Bottom