10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:?:
Hi i have a 10 gal tank and was wondering if i could keep 3 platies 2 tiger barbs and 1 cory cat in it?

You could, but you'd be at the upper limit for a tank that size. Tiger barbs are pretty agressive and are best kept in groups of 5-6. They seem to spend their time chasing each other if you have a group of them. Cory cats do better in small groups also. I'd go with 3 platies and 3 corys. Is this a new tank? If so, are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

You could keep those fish in the same tank. Tiger barbs are cool fish, they are very active. I have two in my ten gallon tank. The first day I had them they just swam back and forth madly! It was fun to watch. But, you can't keep them with any long finned fish (Betta, Angelfish). I did not know this. I bought two tiger barbs and an angelfish. The guy at Petsmart put them in the same bag, so I figured they would be okay in the same tank. Not true! After the barbs original mad dash back and forth wore off, they began nipping at the Angel :x

Luckily I have two ten gallons and I quickly put the Angel in the other, community, tank.

As long as you don't have any long finned fish in your tank, the barbs are a good choice. 8)

Back
Top Bottom