2 males and 1 female? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LLG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 2 pairs of Aphanius mento killifish in with 6 small shelldwellers in a 29 g tank. Everything seemed to be okay. I change 1/3 - 1/2 of the water every week, plants look healthy etc.

The Aphanius males turned blue, almost overnight. They're beautiful but they chase the females (and each other) a lot but don't seem to bite. I put in a lot of plants, mostly hornwort, so they can hide. There are enough plants that I don't always see the fish.

Yesterday, I found one of the females dead. I remembered that, a couple of days ago, there seemed to be something protruding about 2mm from her (is it a cloaca?). It looked a bit reddish but I thought it must be poop. I think it was the one that died.

Does anyone have any ideas about what happened to her? She didn't look damaged. I heard that they can die from stress.

Now I am very worried because I have one female and 2 males left. Should I take her out? She could go into my small tank with a betta.

Can 2 males live together? With or without a female? We have chickens and I've seen roosters living together peacefully if there are no hens there. I've searching online for more females. I bought them from someone on Aquabid who only sells pairs. I found one place that sells them but they don't mention male or female in the online catalogue. I sent them a message and am waiting for an answer from them.

I would appreciate any advice about this. I feel bad for that poor female.

With fish it’s about trial and error. What works for some might not work for you or vice versa. As far as what happened to your female killifish could have well been stress as you mentioned or a list of illnesses that fish are prone to getting in captivity. I say moving forward, keep and eye on their behavior and decide from there.

Back
Top Bottom