20 gallon idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok guys, so I have decided to change the theme in my tank into a see through/ catfish tank, my stock is
5 red belly x ray tetras
4 ghost catfish
3 upside down catfish
4 Cory catfish ( will two peppered and two green stick together, please answer!)
12 ghost shrimp
2 otocinclus catfish
How does this sound? Any comments and thoughts will be appreciated, thanks :)

I have glass catfish (6) and they are pretty cool, but will need more space than a 20 long. They are very shy, need lots of hiding places, prefer planted tanks, and are incredibly fast when they want to be. They are bottom-mid dwellers, and need very good water quality. They also can get up to 5-6 inches long, my largest is already at a solid 4 inches.
What I think you should do is go online, look at fish, research your local pet store, and take your time choosing your stock. When I first started, I was like you, so many ideas and changed my stocking list a hundred times. Then I got a bunch of fish that unfortunately were not that greatly compatible, and caused myself a lot of heartache by having to re-home them (a few met thier demise due to my lack of planning and research as well).
Now, down the road, I know what I like, what I dont like, who goes well with what, and found that my preference of fish is TOTALLY different than I first thought.
You dont have to follow the notion of a "show fish" with other smaller fish, or even a species only tank. Oh.....and your first instinct is usually always right. If you had your heart set on neons from the beginnig, go with the neons. If you want angels, skip the smaller tank, save up for a larger suitable tank, and be prepared.
****Advice from a not-so-long-ago rookie****. :)

Ok, really need your help now, these are my two options
5 neon tetras
5 harlequin rasbora
4 ghost catfish
3 Cory catfish
4 black kuhli loaches
Or
4 ballon belly mollies
4 lamp eye tetras
4 swordtails
3 Cory catfish
4 kuhli loaches
What is the best option, or should I combine some fish from the first and second group, open for any ideas

Right now, don't worry about it. Really think about it. You keep changing you stock list I doubt you will be happy with the end results

I would just keep looking at all the fish you want and really decide. When you've decided check back here and see if it'd work in your tank.

Ok, really need your help now, these are my two options
5 neon tetras
5 harlequin rasbora
4 ghost catfish
3 Cory catfish
4 black kuhli loaches
Or
4 ballon belly mollies
4 lamp eye tetras
4 swordtails
3 Cory catfish
4 kuhli loaches
What is the best option, or should I combine some fish from the first and second group, open for any ideas

Ok I don't know much about most of these but if it was my tank this would be my pick:

8 neon tetras (I think a bigger shoal looks way better than several little ones - plus neons look amazing with live plants)
3 swordtails
5 kuhli loaches (I'd do either cories or kuhlis not both - too many bottom feeders and they'll be happier with more of their own species

I'm not sure this may be overstocked so I'd check with aqadvisor to make sure.

Ok, I really want Cory cats, and kuhli loaches, these are the fish I want, but can't decide on which
Neon tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Debra danios
Ghost catfish
Glo tetras
Lamp eye tetra
Ballon belly Molly
Velvet wag swordtail
Silver hatchetfish
Longfin red minor tetra
Dwarf gourami
What fish would work better together?

Instead of just writing a bunch of fish and hoping someone else has the magic stock I like to put all the fish I want in a spreadsheet then make a bunch of possible stocks (all checked on aqadvisor). Make that then narrow those down to the 1 or 2 YOU want most and if you're worried about compatibility or something ask on here.

It's your tank and you're the one who has to see it every day so it should be your very favorite stock in the whole wide world. We probably don't have the same opinions you do on what fish is the best. Good luck :)

Ok, I really want Cory cats, and kuhli loaches, these are the fish I want, but can't decide on which
Neon tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Debra danios
Ghost catfish
Glo tetras
Lamp eye tetra
Ballon belly Molly
Velvet wag swordtail
Silver hatchetfish
Longfin red minor tetra
Dwarf gourami
What fish would work better together?

Ok here's what I would do.
Either 8 neons/ harlequins or 6 any other of the danios/tetras
1 dwarf gourami
2 mollies (male) or 2 swordtails (male)
5 cories

That's pushing it, but good filtration and water change schedules you'll be good.

Ok, this number sounds good, I'm doing 40% weekly changes, and I have an aqueon whisper 30

Ok, 5 Cory's, 8 neons, dwarf gourami, can I add two red minor tetras and two belly mollies, or should I just leve in the minor tetras

Ok, I think this is what I'm doing, I just need an ok
4 Cory cats
5 or 6 neon tetras
3 lamp eye tetras
3 longfin red minor tetras

Back
Top Bottom