20 Gallon Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starjessie56

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this forum thing, so bear with me! I have a 20 gallon tall well established tank. most of my fish have slowly died and I never replaced them. I currently have 2 guppies, 1 Von Rio Tetra, 1 Platy, 1 Amano Shrimp, 3 corie cats, and a pleco. My tank isnt very colorful, and most of my fish are bottom dwellers. does anyone have any ideas on what to add to my tank?!

Hi and welcome to AA! Do you have any idea why your fish were dieing? If it were me, I would try an figure that out first. You don't want any other fish you might buy to die after all. If you have one, you should test with a liquid test kit. Most members on here (including myself) use the API Liquid Master Freshwater test kit.

If all is good, there are quite a few colorful options to add in. First, I would re-home the Von Rio Tetra.
I have some Gold Barbs in my tank. They are very colorful, (yellow) and they are very funny to watch. I'd add about five. If your guppies have large fins, then I wouldn't add them so there won't be a chance for the barbs to nip. Another option for a school would simply be neon tetras. You instead to cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, harlequin rasboras, ember tetras, etc.
A good centerpiece fish could be a Bolivian Ram or Honey Gourami.

I think most of them died after hurricane Nemo (ironic right) the temperature in the tank dropped to 33 degrees and a few days later a bunch died.

I use the API FW master kit and all of the levels are at 0.

I mistyped earlier... I only have one guppy left and he has a fairly short tail...

how many of each would you say to put? and should I get more guppies so they can school?

Wow that is weird..... I would add another guppy, they seem to like each others company, although they don't really 'school'.

It really depends on what fish you choose as to how many you add.

Back
Top Bottom