20 high stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Newly setup 20 gal high.

Dirted (I’m trying this for the first time)

Planted: (I suck at plants, but it seems to be going ok so far. Plants include: Vallisneria, Java fern, Java moss, rotala rotundifolia, juncus repens, anubias (gracilis, nana petite, and a mystery one from petvalu) and some duckweed and Salvinia on top.)

Driftwood (lots of tannins)

I have moderately hard water with a pH of 8.0

Tank is currently at 24C (75F) but I can change this if need be.

Filtration: Aquaclear 20

So… what could live happily in here?

My ideas: (I wouldn’t do ALL of them, obviously)

• Cherry shrimp (I really want these so the rest of the stock should be compatible)

• Cory cats? (Is my tank too small, or is the bottom too full of stuff (driftwood, plants) for corys? Pygmy cories are not available where I live.

• Galaxy rasbora? (Celestial Pearl danios: my fish guy can order these in, but I’ve heard they’re hard to keep. Is this true? Would they hate the tannins and water hardness? Would this matter if they’re bred in captivity?)

• Chili rasboras? (A little school of these would be awesome. Not sure if these are available here, I’ll have to ask mah fish guy. How difficult are these to keep? Will they eat commercial foods? Will I have to learn to hatch brine shrimp or something?)

Killifish?? (I freaking love these! My fish guy has some but they’re the golden ones which I’m pretty sure get too big.)

Otocinclus? (My tank is probably way too new for these. I’ve heard they’re hard to keep unless you have an old tank full of algae.)

• Tetras?? (Tetras are so basic. Lol. I can probably keep these alive tho. Maybe some Embers?)

• Rice fish?? (Probably can’t get these here)

I’m not a fan of livebearers.

Suggestions? Thoughts?? I need some cute little fishies that are relatively easy to keep for a beginner.

Help me! Thanks!

Attachments

• 8DF6CA2E-DC90-4FA0-89E1-92F6C8CD8873.jpg
    8DF6CA2E-DC90-4FA0-89E1-92F6C8CD8873.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 13
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) of your water supply in numbers?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

------------------

Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubius don't need to be planted in substrate and should be attached to rocks or wood and left to grow there.

------------------

Most killifish come from soft acidic water with a GH below 50ppm and a pH below 7.0 but they can live in water with a GH up to about 150ppm. A pH of 8.0 might be pushing it for them.

Golden wonder killifish are aggressive predators that will eat the shrimp. Aphyosemion and most other Epiplaty species are smaller, more peaceful and will be fine if the pH and GH are suitable for them. Nothobranchius species are shorter lived and harder to keep, requiring soft acid water.

Celestial danios need to be kept in groups of 10 or more in a tank that is at least 2 foot long.

Most Corydoras need a tank that is at least 30 inches (preferably 3 feet) long. Pygmy Corydoras are fine in tanks about 2 foot long but need a group of 8-10 or more. You might be able to find pygmy Corydoras online and get them shipped, otherwise ask you local pet shop if they can order some in. However, having shrimp and catfish doesn't always work because you have 2 species living on or near the bottom and they will compete with each other. Maybe drop catfish and just stay with the shrimp.

No idea about chilli rasboras.

Otocinclus catfish need a tank that is at least 3 months old and has biofilm (slime on the glass and ornaments), algae and driftwood. They do best in groups of 6 or more.

Tetras need to be in groups of 10 or more and in tanks that are at least 2 foot long. About the only exception is the splashing tetras and you can keep a pair in an 18 inch tank.

Ricefish/ Medakas do best in groups of 8-10 or more and a tank that is 2 foot or longer. You might be able to squeeze 4-6 in an 18 inch tank but when they and the shrimp breed the tank will become quickly overstocked.

A pair of small gouramis like sparking or honey gouramis would be ok if the GH is below 180ppm. Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms because they regularly carry the Gourami iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be treated, and both diseases remain in the tank until it is disinfected, and that includes the fish.

Some of the smaller species of Pseudomugil rainbofish might be ok. They can tolerate harder water with the high pH and species like Pseudomugil gertrudae only grow to about an inch long and 6-10 of them would be ok in a tank that is 18-24 inches long.
The following link has information on different species of rainbowfish, including the pseudomugils.
Melanotaeniidae and Pseudomugilidae

Hi Colin, thanks for the reply. Let me answer some of your questions:

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

24L x 12W x 16H

What is the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) of your water supply in numbers?

Hadn’t tested this in over 10 years. I was surprised to see the numbers had changed slightly.

GH: 140 mg/L (ppm)

KH: 180 mg/L

Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias don't need to be planted in substrate and should be attached to rocks or wood and left to grow there.

The anubias and Java ferns are attached to rocks or driftwood. (y)

Most killifish come from soft acidic water with a GH below 50ppm and a pH below 7.0 but they can live in water with a GH up to about 150ppm. A pH of 8.0 might be pushing it for them.

Golden wonder killifish are aggressive predators that will eat the shrimp. Nothobranchius species are shorter lived and harder to keep, requiring soft acid water.

Celestial danios need to be kept in groups of 10 or more in a tank that is at least 2 foot long.

Most Corydoras need a tank that is at least 30 inches (preferably 3 feet) long. Pygmy Corydoras are fine in tanks about 2 foot long but need a group of 8-10 or more. You might be able to find pygmy Corydoras online and get them shipped, otherwise ask you local pet shop if they can order some in. However, having shrimp and catfish doesn't always work because you have 2 species living on or near the bottom and they will compete with each other. Maybe drop catfish and just stay with the shrimp.

Otocinclus catfish need a tank that is at least 3 months old and has biofilm (slime on the glass and ornaments), algae and driftwood. They do best in groups of 6 or more.

Tetras need to be in groups of 10 or more and in tanks that are at least 2 foot long.

Ricefish/ Medakas do best in groups of 8-10 or more and a tank that is 2 foot or longer.

Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms because they regularly carry the Gourami iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be treated, and both diseases remain in the tank until it is disinfected, and that includes the fish.

Never mind all of those options then. My tank won’t be suitable for them.

Aphyosemion and most other Epiplaty species are smaller, more peaceful and will be fine if the pH and GH are suitable for them.

No idea about chilli rasboras.

About the only exception is the splashing tetras and you can keep a pair in an 18 inch tank.

A pair of small gouramis like sparking or honey gouramis would be ok if the GH is below 180ppm.

Some of the smaller species of Pseudomugil rainbofish might be ok. They can tolerate harder water with the high pH and species like Pseudomugil gertrudae only grow to about an inch long and 6-10 of them would be ok in a tank that is 18-24 inches long.

I will look all of these up.

I may end up going with neocaridinia shrimp only. :ermm:

:thanks:

Your tank is 2 foot long and the GH is low so many of those fishes would be ok to keep if you could drop the pH a bit. Even then it's more of an issue with wild caught fishes or the killifish that come from and are bred in soft acid water.

Your pH is high due to the KH. If you got reverse osmosis or distilled water and mixed it 50/50 you would drop the pH and KH.

Back
Top Bottom