<3 Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have always loved plecos, one of my favorites was watching them munch down a piece of zucchini, cucumber, or squash. I have been putting a slice of zuchinni in every other night and my 4 oto's are loving it. But the bristlenose doesn't seem interested. I guess he could be munching on it at night, but I haven't seen him. I put it in in the evening and then take out whats left within 24 hours. I tried blanching it this time, it's still firm, but none of them seem interested in it now, lol. They sure do love the plants and driftwood though (see attached pics). Thanks to severum mama and HN1 for such great quality (this one and my 2 bolivian rams came from them).

Sometimes it takes a while for them to realize the zucchini is edible.

This is true, it took both of my plecos a little bit to realize the zuccini was food. I never blanch it and now they go right to it and much it for about a day and a half. You will be able to tell if the plecos are munching on it because the middle of the zuccini will be eaten. I know that you can try baby carrots, brussell sprouts and brocholli stalks. I had six otos and they wouldn't touch anything and died. :( Hope this helped.

Always happy to send fish to a good home. :)

We primarily feed spirulina wafers after dark and sinking cichlid pellets which they love. They occasionally get well rinsed canned green beans, but when we had the garden going they got zuc and cuc 1-2x weekly too.

Always happy to send fish to a good home. :)

We primarily feed spirulina wafers after dark and sinking cichlid pellets which they love. They occasionally get well rinsed canned green beans, but when we had the garden going they got zuc and cuc 1-2x weekly too.

What is spirulina?

well, we had green beans tonight for dinner, I should've tried some. I will most definitely try them soon. I use a veggie clip for the zuch and cucumber so it isn't hard to take out.

It is actually derived from a type of cyano. Basically it is a food additive (human and animal) that provides herbivorous dietary supplementation.

Back
Top Bottom