30 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everybody! I currently have a 30 gal tropical community tank. It houses 6 kuhli loaches, 2 Bolivian rams, and 5 cherry barbs (had 6, but lost one. When I bought it from my LFS, it was bloated, but I didn't make much of it. Soon after, it died). I have a nice piece of driftwood in the tank and it's lightly planted (working on getting more plants in). I would love to add some other type of fish to the tank. According to AqAdvisor, my tank is only 70% full. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could add? I really like cory catfish, but I would also like something with a little color maybe. All my fish tend to be calm and only ever once in a while the rams will chase each other a little bit. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 44
You may want to try adding some snails. I just got some yesterday for my 10 gallon and they are surprisingly interesting to watch crawl along the bottom and side of the tank. They'll also probably like that piece of driftwood.

I know snails may not seem very exciting at first, but just sit and watch them for a bit in the store and you can decide if they add enough interest to your tank.

Cardinal tetras would work well. Bright coloration and stay on the smaller aide

Caleb

You may want to try adding some snails. I just got some yesterday for my 10 gallon and they are surprisingly interesting to watch crawl along the bottom and side of the tank. They'll also probably like that piece of driftwood.

I know snails may not seem very exciting at first, but just sit and watch them for a bit in the store and you can decide if they add enough interest to your tank.

Yeah I thought about snails but I wanted something a little more interesting. Don't get me wrong snails are cool, just not what I was looking for. But thank you for the suggestion !

Cardinal tetras would work well. Bright coloration and stay on the smaller aide

Caleb

Cardinal tetras were an idea I was thinking of. They are cool looking fish. Would I be able to keep those with cories as well or am I approaching over stocked?

Cardinal tetras were an idea I was thinking of. They are cool looking fish. Would I be able to keep those with cories as well or am I approaching over stocked?

IMO you could keep a school of 5-6 just fine

Caleb

I wouldn't add anything, tank needs more structure, unless it's a fluke in the pic?? I see everything at substrate level. Barbs shouldn't all be gripping the ground like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't add anything, tank needs more structure, unless it's a fluke in the pic?? I see everything at substrate level. Barbs shouldn't all be gripping the ground like that.

Good eye!
The tank will fit more fish no problem IMO, but let it grow in and/or add more dimension for the fish.
Taller objects ..The tank is a 29 g not 30.
No big deal on volume (1 g) but 6" less in length then a 30 g which is 36(29g are 30").
It is a 29 right???
Get taller decos.

Good eye!
The tank will fit more fish no problem IMO, but let it grow in and/or add more dimension for the fish.
Taller objects ..The tank is a 29 g not 30.
No big deal on volume (1 g) but 6" less in length then a 30 g which is 36(29g are 30").
It is a 29 right???
Get taller decos.

It was advertised as a 29 gal, but when I put the dimensions in, it comes out to be just above 30.1 gal. But I guess it's technically closer to a 29gal than a 30gal. And some of the smaller plants are bulbs that just started growing. I have had them in previous tanks and they have grown easily out of the top of my 20 gal long, which was 13" tall I believe. So those should be shooting up vertically pretty soon, plus my sword is rather new as well. But thanks for the ideas!

The barbs don't usually go long the bottom, they spend most of the time around the middle of the aquarium

Back
Top Bottom