30 gallon long vs 40 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So when we upgrade to our 30 long or 40 long what are some options for stocking if we go for a cichlid tank or community tank? We know we definitely want a small catfish and some corys what else would go good in a sand substrate tank moderately planted with drift wood and and rock.

So when we upgrade to our 30 long or 40 long what are some options for stocking if we go for a cichlid tank or community tank? We know we definitely want a small catfish and some corys what else would go good in a sand substrate tank moderately planted with drift wood and and rock.

I don't know anything about chiclids but you can do a buch of things if you want a community tank. Tetras, Mollies, Danios, some small barbs maybe. Make sure to do your research before you buy anything.

I don't know anything about chiclids but you can do a buch of things if you want a community tank. Tetras, Mollies, Danios, some small barbs maybe. Make sure to do your research before you buy anything.

Thank you Jbib for the quick answer and yes we have been doing plenty of research. We are planning to set it up in May so it will be ready by July. We definitely are already looking for 6+ corydoras that stay small and we want to keep the tradition of having a gourami maybe a dwarf gourami or pearl gourami. Tiger barbs 6+ or maybe the Green Tiger barbs 6+ of them. But which do you think would be better for our money with fish selection wise 30 long or a 40 long?

Bigger is always better in my opinion. Just realize the added cost with a bigger tank. I would just be careful with some of those barbs they are more semi agressive if I remember correctly.

Bigger is always better in my opinion. Just realize the added cost with a bigger tank. I would just be careful with some of those barbs they are more semi agressive if I remember correctly.

I've had some tiger barbs recently in a school of 4 and they just swim together and leave the other fish alone and don't even go after each other

Are you planning on going planted?

Most cichlids wouldn't work with Cories your best bet is to look at dwarf South American cichlids like Rams, apistos. They're the most community friendly and my favorites anyway. Then fill out the rest of the tank with dither fish like tetras. In a 40 long there's enough space for two ram pairs if it's planted.

I've had some tiger barbs recently in a school of 4 and they just swim together and leave the other fish alone and don't even go after each other

Consider yourself lucky from what I've read most people really only keep tiger barbs in a tiger only tank. The more peaceful barbs are cherrys which are quite cool and zippy.

You could do:

6 peppered cory cats
6 green tiger barbs
6 red tiger barbs
1 dwarf gourami

This would be a tight fit in the 30 but I calculated it and it would still work. 40 gallon would be better though.

Are you planning on going planted?

Most cichlids wouldn't work with Cories your best bet is to look at dwarf South American cichlids like Rams, apistos. They're the most community friendly and my favorites anyway. Then fill out the rest of the tank with dither fish like tetras. In a 40 long there's enough space for two ram pairs if it's planted.

You could do:

6 peppered cory cats
6 green tiger barbs
6 red tiger barbs
1 dwarf gourami

This would be a tight fit in the 30 but I calculated it and it would still work. 40 gallon would be better though.

Yes Matt i was gonna do planted tank with driftwood and rocks with dwarf cichlids and possibly other small fish that could hold their own against these fish and pseudomugil thats what i was thinking I don't want a tight fitting tank so the 40 maybe would be better and could i possible use an aqueon 55/75 filter for extra filtration so i don't have to buy 2 filters?

If by chance you happen to go with rams be sure to pick tankmates that can handle temps in the 80-82 degree range cardinal tetras work well, but your choices for cories gets cut drastically as there are only a few species that tolerate those temps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

are there any catfish that can do well in a 40 long with those temps and stay relatively small and won't be tank busters?

are there any catfish that can do well in a 40 long with those temps and stay relatively small and won't be tank busters?

I have a list of cories that do well with rams, I'll find it and let you know what they are.

Oh sterbai are a attractive and fairly easy cory to obtain that do well in higher temps.

Oh sterbai are a attractive and fairly easy cory to obtain that do well in higher temps.

They are very attractive how many could i keep in the 40 long since one sterbai needs 30 gallons minimum?

Make sure you don't get Julii corys. They look almost exactly the same as Sterbaiis.

Back
Top Bottom