38 ppm nitrates in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank-o-Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a few weeks I have a 15 gal aquarium up and running, with 9 Norman's Lampeyes in it. One didn't make it unfortunately, the others are doing perfect though. I even saw a few babies a few days ago, although they probably got eaten now because I don't have a spare tank yet.

My only concern at this moment is high nitrates. My API test showed constant high nitrates, and it turns out that, according to my water company, the nitrates are indeed 38 ppm. Although my fish seem perfectly fine atm, I can imagine this becoming a problem in the long run (more WC's, sick fish). What do you think?

I already found some possible solutions, most are ment for in the aquarium itself though. I prefer to add clean nitrate-free water to the aquarium when doing water changes though. The best solution seems Nitragon, something you can clip on your tap and it will filter most of the nitrates out. It's apparently out of sale, so any other recommendations are welcome. Any proven techniques for this situation?

Plant that tank! Lots of plants out there that drink up nitrates. From experience, bringing in water from another source (bottled water, water from a friends house, etc) can become a huge pain.

If you have RO water available that would be a good way to go. If you'd use 50% RO and 50% tap you'd cut the nitrates your adding into the tank by half.

I looked into the reverse osmosis and this would indeed be an option. Not totally fond of the concept since my tap water is otherwise perfect. I'd have to buy a seperate nitrate filter to get all the nitrates out, so this might be a bit of an expensive way to go (50 euros for the RO, 20 for the nitrate filter and some more for Seachem Replenish). But something has to be done, right?

I'm sure you guys can't read much Dutch, but maybe you can tell by the picture if this RO unit would be a good buy? Combined with this nitrate filter.

rmiller, I agree with you that bringing in water from another source could be a pain, especially since I live on the 1st floor. I already have quite a bit of plants in my tank, so to reduce the nitrate level from 40ppm I think I would need so many plants that I wouldn't be able to see my fish anymore.

When googling around some more about nitrates, a few people mentioned nitrates around 50ppm shouldn't be THAT much of a problem to the fish. This got me thinking, since my fish seem perfectly OK and they even had some babies; must be good sign, right? Maybe the nitrates aren't as much of a problem as I thought.

I also came across JBL NitratEX, which I could use in my filter to remove some of the nitrates. Maybe this would be a good middle way?

I've never used to water, not really researched ot either, so I cant help much there. On the idea that fish are ok up to 50 ppm, there are a lot of people out there who keep fish in all kinds of conditions, doesn't mean its not harming the fish. Most hobbyists insist on keeping their nitrates below 20 for hardy fish, and below 10 for sensitive ones.

Your water company says 38 ppm, have you tested that yourself? Have you checked your tank to see if the plants are using the nitrates?

Yes, I tested it myself. I couldn't explain the nitrates in my aquarium water which showed as 40 - 80 ppm on my API test kit. Tap water tested the same. I was about to blame the API kit for it, but when asking the water company, they told me that the concentration of nitrates at my location is 38 ppm. That must be about the highest in the entire Netherlands, so talking about bad luck, haha.

I agree with you that other people can have other standards. But I just noticed even more eggs (inside my submarine decoration, haha), so they can't be doing too bad, right?

The RO unit looks pretty much like the one I have and it works great. Here's a link to compare them since you do read English.... portable countertop reverse osmosis drinking water system - remove fluoride, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, prescription drugs and more.

I've seen nitrate filters but never an inline one. I do know that water has to barely move them in order for them to be effective since the nitrate filters I'm familiar with use anaerobic bacteria to eat nitrates. But it could be very effective in aiding with your problem. BUT if you go with RO to cut with your tap water you don't need a nitrate filter.

Yours looks quite similar indeed. I'll have to decide if I go with RO water or nitrate filter then. The nitrate filter is much easier and cheaper, although RO will have some benefits too ofcourse. I'll think about it, thanks!

Allright, a little update here. Two more fish died, since everything seems perfect except for high nitrates, I'm determined to fix this problem. RO water will be too much of a hassle: expensive and cumbersome since my water is perfect apart from the nitrates. I did quite some research and came upon the following options. Some brands could be mainly European, but maybe you're familiar with the concepts.

JBL BioNitrat Ex
Thinking of trying this one. Not sure if it works in an internal filter. Might be a bit of a hassle to stuff some in a bag in my filter but hopefully works. Seems good for the long term. Would be great if it would work like for this fella. Most of these nitrate removers apparently only work in filters with slow water movement, don't know how my Juwel Bioflow would classify that came with my Korall 60?

JBL Nitrat Ex cristalprofi filtermedia
Ment for interal filter, not sure about the whole regenerating in salt water though. Maybe not the best option in the long run.

JBL BioNitrat Ex for JBL filter
Looks like the one I need (the Bio one, for internal filters) but in the wrong shape.

http://www.aquariumline.com/catalog...tal-profi-80100200200-p-8342.html?language=en
Tetra Nitrateminus Pearls
Might be an extra option, although it has mixed reviews and could be a pain in the *** to use.

I would preferably remove the nitrates BEFORE putting the water in the tank, but I can't find any good solutions for that. Do you guys think any of these options would bring 50 ppm nitrates down to a more acceptable level?

I've never used any of those products but have used Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover Resin... Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover - Free Shipping}. It works very well and quickly and is rechargeable in Water with Aquarium Salt. Don't know if it's available where your at.

If you have room and an extra filter big enough to put the resin in (a small canister would be ideal) you could put the amount of tap water you need for you WC in a container/bucket then add the filter with the resin. I'd do it about 3 day's before a WC to let the resin remove the nitrates. Then do your WC using the treated water. You'd need to get the resin soaking in the aquarium salt water for use again. It would be a pain but it could work.

I have the EXACT same problem. 40ppms. I bring water from a friends house but it is a pain in the ***. The best option and cheapest I found would be an under the sink RO/DI filter. Then if you get one of those sink to tank water changers problem solved. But I'm a poor kid so I use one gallon bottles.
EDIT:The nitrate resin gets expencive fast. You can get an under the sink RO/DI filter for about 130$

Thank you both for your suggestions! I think one of the JBL nitrate removers is worth a shot, quite cheap, easy and might work. If it doesn't, however, I'll consider buying the Fluval nitrate remover, or maybe even RO.

Back
Top Bottom