4 days without food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Em29uk

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to my bfs for 4 nights, will my fish be ok without food?? I have 3 X-ray tetras in a 19L tank, shall I give them extra food before I leave?

They'll be fine for four days. Just feed them right before you leave and as soon as you come home.

We left ours for 5 days with absolutely no issues whatsoever. With the exception of pristine water.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed. They will be fine for four days. Do not try to feed them extra to compensate.

They'll survive but you could return to nipped fins.

Has anyone tried the Tetra gel vacation feeders? I know those pyramid things are awful but then I saw the gel discs and wondered if they might be better? There are also timed dispensers that may be worth considering if this will be a semi-regular occurrence.

IMO the gel feeders are still a potential point of failure and the auto feeders can be too. Just a risk that I wouldn't take personally. I used to routinely leave 8-10 tanks unfed for up to a week at a time with no ill effects. If you add any food during your time away, you'll want to do a good PWC before your departure and as soon as possible on your return.

I went to Australia/New Zealand for 18 days...the house sitter completely forgot to feed my 3 tanks for the entirety of the trip....came back horrified and scared to see the damage...and surprisingly, no casualties! So 4 days? Piece of cake :)

Yes they'll be perfectly fine. Don't add any vacation feeder blocks.. They're full of fillers and preservatives. I left one in my tank for 10 days once when I was on a trip and when I returned the fish had not touched it. They didn't even know it was food. And they were all fine.

Back
Top Bottom