40 Gallon bowing HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I just upgraded my tank finally! I bought a 40 gallon breeder made by aqueon when Petco was having their $1 per gallon sale a while ago. The house I was in before didn't have a trust worthy floor to set it up on so I waited until we moved. We just bought a house and I just set up the tank today. I just noticed its bowing about 1/4" in the middle. Us this going to be a problem down the road!!? I really really don't want to come home to 40 gallons of water on the floor in my parents brand new house :( j have the tank on a stand from Petco for a 40 gallon breeder and I put some plywood in between the tank and the stand so everything should be level.

Lexie

I'd start by calling petco. Depending on what they say I'd either not worry about it or try to get them to replace it.

I'd start by calling petco. Depending on what they say I'd either not worry about it or try to get them to replace it.

Well I don't even know if they would let me return it because I bought it months ago and no longer have the receipt. I sent an inquiry to aqueon's customer service.

Well I don't even know if they would let me return it because I bought it months ago and no longer have the receipt. I sent an inquiry to aqueon's customer service.

Aqueon have warranties on all their tanks, I think 20-40 gallons are like six month or 1 year warranties so it might be worth it to give them a call. If you used your petco pals card they can look up your transactions in their system or you can look it up online too

Huh! I totally didn't even think of that! I do have the sticker and its a five year warranty so I should be good. I contacted them and am waiting to hear back. I guess if anything I can just try and get a new tank. And if not just buy another one.

Went to Petco last night and they said they have never heard of the tank bowing but that there wasn't anything they could do return wise since it was a little while ago. I'm looking into just buying a sea clear acrylic tank when I can get enough money saved up. Just because its supposed to be stronger and a bit more flexible than glass.

i have a 40G breeder in my garage i have yet to setup and reading this thread makes me a little nervous... hopefully it's gonna be ok. otherwise i have to go by a new one :/

i have a 40G breeder in my garage i have yet to setup and reading this thread makes me a little nervous... hopefully it's gonna be ok. otherwise i have to go by a new one :/

It's making me nervous! I guess they used to make them with a center brace but they discontinued that style. I would just save your receipt and try to get it set up within the return time frame. I wish I would have done that but you live and learn I guess.

I bought a 40b during the $1 sale and mine isn't bowed. ..it can happen time to time when things are man made.....but imo all won't be destroyed just because one out of 50 is....

lexiesboots said:
Went to Petco last night and they said they have never heard of the tank bowing but that there wasn't anything they could do return wise since it was a little while ago. I'm looking into just buying a sea clear acrylic tank when I can get enough money saved up. Just because its supposed to be stronger and a bit more flexible than glass.

I though the manufacturer had a warranty. Have you contacted them?

If you need to, just buy a new one and return the defective one in the box of the new one ;).

Trust me this works for everything !

Haha I was just about to suggest that! Even though dishonest, I have to admit I've done this on several occasions

who is being dishonest really?

Greedy corporations making substandard goods selling them at a premium cost to the consumer, knowing that their product will fail just outside of the warranty.

To me that's dishonesty.

who is being dishonest really?

Greedy corporations making substandard goods selling them at a premium cost to the consumer, knowing that their product will fail just outside of the warranty.

To me that's dishonesty.

Agreed. I think I will just go over to an acrylic tank once I get the funds for one. I know they scratch easy but everywhere I read keeps saying that are 17x stronger and that's got me sold.

HopefulHobbiest said:
yea mine has already past the return date and i already spray painted the back side black lol... guess i'll have to see what happens when i go to fill it lol

That shouldn't matter. My brothers 125 cracked on him overnight and flooded his apartment. The back was painted black and they honored the warranty

True but i was more referring to a receipt return type situation. All the stickers are still on the glass so you may be correct that I could take a warranty return route in the event something happens

Back
Top Bottom