40G Breeder Build - Advice Welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used stainless steel screws so I'm not too worried about it. If it rust a bit in the future, it won't be enough to cause me any concern. I opted out of silicone because I think the screws will do a better job of holding over time. It will also make it easier for me to reuse the manzanita.

I used stainless steel screws so I'm not too worried about it. If it rust a bit in the future, it won't be enough to cause me any concern. I opted out of silicone because I think the screws will do a better job of holding over time. It will also make it easier for me to reuse the manzanita.

You already thought of that. Wonderful. Post more pics when the tank is fully set up.

Did a water change, finally got my lights hung on the fixture (still need to make some changes), and my plants semi organized. Unfortunately my wood is still floating a bit so I have rocks sitting all over it. It pretty much ruins any picture. Here's one just for the heck of it.

image-4072267036.jpg

I hesitate to add these pictures because I have some rocks sitting on my driftwood to keep it from floating. The tannins have gone way down with a lot of water changes. Plants are still acclimating. I'll probably let them all grow for awhile before I change anything.

img_2368085_0_e890d5ebe8c1834e678b52b3979a5d2a.jpg

img_2368085_1_1944c1225fd9d49afb946e8d64d0497d.jpg

How do I post my own thread? I can only respond. I want to post my own. Help?

Nothing much has changed, but the wood is almost ready to have the rocks taken off. It still wants to float a tiny bit but should be ready soon. Plants are looking better since the change.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Not sure if anyone is even following this, but...

Not a whole of changes. The wood has finally sunk and is no longer floating. Moved a few plants around.

I'm trying to figure out what plants to add...The front right foreground needs something for sure. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

img_2395282_0_8dea80d8951e0b7cfa4432e92416a397.jpg

Stupid rim.
img_2395282_1_8984694f40da50178adf71e769899ca5.jpg

Added a GBR couple.
img_2395282_2_18c337f144384eae405851adf6ea8e3b.jpg

Not sure if anyone is even following this, but...

Not a whole of changes. The wood has finally sunk and is no longer floating. Moved a few plants around.

I'm trying to figure out what plants to add...The front right foreground needs something for sure. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

Stupid rim.

Added a GBR couple.

Beautiful tank. Where did you get those stunning gbr?

Gorgeous tank!! LOVE the wood. Looks amazing. Can I have it!? :p

Pogostemon helferi would look good IMO or Dwarf Baby Tears if you have high enough light for them.

Pogostemon helferi would look good IMO or Dwarf Baby Tears if you have high enough light for them.

Pogostemon helferi looks pretty cool. That would work pretty nicely. Haha actually, that plant is exactly the look I'm going for. Thanks!

I did have baby tears in here, but it kept getting pulled up. I had to move it to my 10G and is carpeting really nicely.

THe 40g breeder IMO is a great size for plants because it is only 16" deep. This means you get enough light to your bottom plants without overlighting many taller ones at the top. Your dual T5 HO light should be plenty for all but the most demanding plants. I'd stay with it for awhile and see how it does. Follow Rivercat's advice. She's probably the most experienced plant person we have coming in here.
Caudially, OS.

It has been quite awhile since I've been on this site or posted any pictures. Since the last time I was on, I've added 10 serpae tetras and 6 pencil fish.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Back
Top Bottom