40G Breeder Build - Advice Welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank is looking fantastic!

I've found that Milwaukee (sorry if spelled wrong) regulators are unreliable and a bit scary. I once had one and 50% of the time it decided not to release any CO2. The other 50% of the time, it went and released an entire full cylinder into the water in 6 hours. I only had three platies then and two died. The needle valve is complete garbage too.

Thanks everyone!

Did you switch to a different regulator or did you just replace the needle valve with something else? I was a little weary about the needle valve....

Rivercats - Hoping you can help me with the PPS-Pro. Just add 4ml daily of each(40 gallon tank)? Im confused. Also, I did order 3 seperate dosing bottles just in case.
And.....There's always an and! I'm going to be in St. Louis all weekend. Any good LFS's with plants in your area?

Yes you would dose 4ml daily of each. I would suggest starting them the day you do your WC. Do your WC then dose as above. Then at the end of the week before you do your next WC test for nitrates and phophates to see what your readings are at and log them. You want to shoot for 10-20ppm nitrate and .5-1.0ppm phosphate. Do the testings for 3-4 weeks like that and you will get an idea if your dosing too much, too little, or just right with the nitrates and phosphate/potassium mix. Example say at the end of the week your nitrates are 30ppm then you would want to dose less nitrate mix the next week. After a few weeks you can look at your log and get a good idea how much nitrate mix and phosphate/postassium mix your plants are using each week and be able to adjust your dosing to run your tank at the proper levels.

Fish stores here IMO are a joke. They only two I occassionally stop by when I'm in the area is Tropical World on Watson and Aqua World in the city on Gravios. We used to have a couple good fish stores but when the economy went down so did they.

Yes you would dose 4ml daily of each. I would suggest starting them the day you do your WC. Do your WC then dose as above. Then at the end of the week before you do your next WC test for nitrates and phophates to see what your readings are at and log them. You want to shoot for 10-20ppm nitrate and .5-1.0ppm phosphate. Do the testings for 3-4 weeks like that and you will get an idea if your dosing too much, too little, or just right with the nitrates and phosphate/potassium mix. Example say at the end of the week your nitrates are 30ppm then you would want to dose less nitrate mix the next week. After a few weeks you can look at your log and get a good idea how much nitrate mix and phosphate/postassium mix your plants are using each week and be able to adjust your dosing to run your tank at the proper levels.

Fish stores here IMO are a joke. They only two I occassionally stop by when I'm in the area is Tropical World on Watson and Aqua World in the city on Gravios. We used to have a couple good fish stores but when the economy went down so did they.

Awesome. Thanks for the info on dosing! I heard about Aqua World. Maybe I'll stop by there for kicks. I'm pretty lucky in Columbia. My LFS normally has a good assortment of healthy plants and fish. They always tell me that they'll order stuff for me, but I would just rather order it myself. Probably cheaper that way.

Aqua World was pretty good but I noticed around Dec they were letting things slid. The fish still look good but it's like they get plants in and let them go to pot. I don't put plants there anyway but it's still a shame.

Fedex just dropped off my regulator! Thought I'd share some pictures!

Should be getting my ferts and dosing bottles tomorrow!

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Frank Abagnale 40B - "Trying to Find the Flow" - Journal

The scape has really been bothering me lately. I honestly threw it together pretty quickly.

I ordered a manzanita stump and a 12 piece branch pack today. I think I'll be able to figure out something nice with those. Should be here middle of next week.

I have really been thinking about taking off the Marineland canister and putting in a sump with a CPR overflow. Not sure yet though. Anyone have thoughts on a using a sump?

Here's the stump I bought. Said he would pick out some nice branches for me!

stump13a.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recommend a sump. They are mainly for saltwater tanks and are designed to hold skimmers and refugiams. Canisters are better for freshwater.

Yeah I'm rethinking the sump. I like the idea of being able to hide things like heaters, but I'm worried that it won't help with my co2. Also, worried about the noise. My canister is silent!

Was gone all weekend. Just changed about 50% of the water and all the plants look great! UPS didn't get my fertilizer delivered because of the snow, but hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow.

Just a few shots after the WC.

19.JPG

20.JPG

The tank is coming along nicely and looks like some of your background plants are ready for a good trim.

Tore down the breeder last night and added new manzanita. I also attached my hanging light fixture so I have a good PAR on this tank. I'll update with more pictures tonight!

It's actually 6-7 different pieces that are screwed together. Manzanita dot com. Highly recommend them. Very cool company to work with.

Back
Top Bottom