40g tank! Switching from 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coursair said:
I wouldn't add an Angel till the salt and meds are gone.

Do they not like salt? Or meds? It's CopperSafe that I'm using (which means shrimp aren't allowed for a month) and I only added one teaspoon (I was supposed to put in 8 tablespoons, but since the salt was already in there, I avoided adding too much) and so I was hoping that it would be a nice dilution.

How about I get those 10 black and white skirts then? It would be a nice addition :) I have some bacteria booster stuff, I forget what it's called, but it says that it's got some live bacteria in it, so I added a little bit when I changed the tanks over for good luck :)

I love dojo loches. Definitely very active! I've heard they can be, but mine has never tried to escape, so honestly I do not know.

I wouldn't add the loach until the meds are gone either. They're scaleless so they'll be more sensitive. I don't think a single angel is aggressive but they will eat fish that will fit in their mouth.

Tank is looking good! :)

I think that the smallest fish I have is a neon tetra, and the fry are in a seperate breeder box, so I think they'll be okay :)

Angels are known for eating neon tetras. Some people say that if you raise the angel as a baby with the neons it won't eat them, but you never know. There's always a chance the neons will be eaten.

Maybe I'll drop the angel unless I can find a really young baby at the store then, sound like a good idea?

Sounds good. You could always try a different fish instead of the angel. Can you remind me of your current stock and what you are planning on adding?

- 3 guppies (1 male 2 female) (I have 1m 1f)
- 6 neon tetras (I have 6)
- 5 black skirt tetras
- 5 "white" skirt tetras
- 5 peppered Cory (I have 1)
- 1 dwarf gourami
- 1 angel fish
- 1-2 frog(s)
- 3 dwarf Otto cats (I have 3)

I just added the frogs because I have the room in my tank, and they look fun to have :) the sign says that they're fully aquatic animals but breathe oxygen, so do they need one of those floating land mass things like my friends aquatic turtles?

They don't need any land. They are fully aquatic. However I've heard that they prefer shallower tanks as they can have a hard time getting to the surface. Plus they require special feeding and diets, so I'd do some research if I were you.

Btw, you can just call them Ottos. :)

okapizebra said:
They don't need any land. They are fully aquatic. However I've heard that they prefer shallower tanks as they can have a hard time getting to the surface. Plus they require special feeding and diets, so I'd do some research if I were you.

For the frogs, could I make a shallow water area for them to rest in? I'm sure that they'd hang out in that area unless they want to go into the deep water. How shallow do you suppose I might make the area anyway? 5" maybe 6 or 7?

I'll research the rest :)

Honestly I'm not sure. I've never kept them, so maybe someone else knows more info.

The exact species would help. They're one of two species: african dwarf frog or African clawed frog. Dwarfs will do fine in a community tank, clawed will get to be 4-5 inches long, not including legs, and will eat basically ANYTHING that moves

Freakgecko91 said:
The exact species would help. They're one of two species: african dwarf frog or African clawed frog. Dwarfs will do fine in a community tank, clawed will get to be 4-5 inches long, not including legs, and will eat basically ANYTHING that moves

I'm planning on the African dwarf, with the webbed feet. After research it seems that I can accommodate all the needs of the froggies, but I have two remaining questions:
1.) will the frogs eat "tetra color tropical granules" which is a sinking food pellet, would it prefer frog/amphibian based food, or a variety of the two?
2.) will they do better in small or large groups, and if they mate will the fish eat the eggs?

okapizebra said:

Just to be correct they are Otos. No extra T.
Otocinclus is their name.

Just make sure the salt and meds are gone before you add stock. ADFs are sensitive to salt and meds also.

And you may need to hand feed them frozen food or the fish may steal it all and they'll starve.
At least at first.

alia258 said:
I'm planning on the African dwarf, with the webbed feet. After research it seems that I can accommodate all the needs of the froggies, but I have two remaining questions:
1.) will the frogs eat "tetra color tropical granules" which is a sinking food pellet, would it prefer frog/amphibian based food, or a variety of the two?
2.) will they do better in small or large groups, and if they mate will the fish eat the eggs?

I have one African dwarf, feeding mine i normally place a sinking wafer or algae wafer next to it in order to feed it, I also feed it live or frozen bloodworm which it goes nuts for, I use a turkey Baster to target the adf, they can be a challenge to feed.

I only have the one who has been in the tank for years and is always active .

They do swim kamikaze style to the surface for air then bomb down again so watch they don't get stuck in objects, mines has been found in a air driven filter and jammed in driftwood etc

So after removing meds and salt in a much due pwc, I'll start with the skirt tetras because they seem the hardiest :)

alia258 said:
For the frogs, could I make a shallow water area for them to rest in? I'm sure that they'd hang out in that area unless they want to go into the deep water. How shallow do you suppose I might make the area anyway? 5" maybe 6 or 7?

I'll research the rest :)

To make a shallow area glue together flat rocks. To reach desired water depth of 6 inches use this formula-
Water depth-6= height of rocks

Oops, sorry about the misspelling!

It might be a good idea to train the frogs to eat in the shallow area. This would make it the easiest way to feed them separately from the fish.

emerald76 said:
To make a shallow area glue together flat rocks. To reach desired water depth of 6 inches use this formula-
Water depth-6= height of rocks

okapizebra said:
Oops, sorry about the misspelling!

It might be a good idea to train the frogs to eat in the shallow area. This would make it the easiest way to feed them separately from the fish.

I was thinking rather than getting tall rocks, to suspend a flat surface 6" below the surface. Training the frogs sounds like a good idea as well :)

I got 4 new fish, and they're acclimating right now. I have this tiny tiny half inch angelfish they had, I figured that since the neons are pretty much the same size, it'd be better to grab him since he was so young. The other three were an impulse buy, they were called long-finned red minor tetra, and they were schooling with black skirt tetras, so I decided that three would be a nice number for now since black and white skirts will make up the remainder of their school. The temp is bein introduced to them, and I'll be adding small amounts of water to the bag every 10-15 minutes for the next hour and a half. I'll tell you guys how my first group of new fish acclimates!

Back
Top Bottom