5.5 Gallon Planted: Attempt Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
This will be my second time setting this tank up as a freshwater planted. It has been over a year since my other tank was set up, so I hope I have gained some knowledge since then. I now will be running a 32 watt powercompact over the tank, but half of that is an actinic which, if I remember correctly does nothing for plants. The other half is 10k....and again...trying to jog my memory I think a lower rating is best. Will this be sufficent for my tank?

I will be using a medium sized aquarium gravel as the substrate, and some schultz aquatic potting mix under that. I have rock in the tank now, which was once live rock for my reef tank. It was set out in the sun for a week, thoroughly cleansed with water, and has been in my tank for 3 weeks with everything running. If you can tell me any problems that may arise please let me know. Also, if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them. Thanks.

Dustin

10K is passable for a planted tank, but the 50/50 will not work as well as something in the 5500K-6700K range. the 50/50 could lead to some bad algae problems.

i don't know much about live rock.....

Live rock is calcium based. It will boost the pH of your water, I think. But really, you don't want a lot of rock in there anyway. I have a freshwater and a saltwater, and I don't think I would like the look of bleached coralline algae in my planted tank. Try some driftwood.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom