55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davy_Jones

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I have a question....
People keep aquariums on the house floor with out a stand, so could you do this with a 55 gallon?
And When done, do people just set them up on the floor, or put something under it for extra protection?

Why would you want to keep one on the floor? It wouldn't be in your line of sight most of the time.

theotheragentm said:
Why would you want to keep one on the floor? It wouldn't be in your line of sight most of the time.

Maybe if you've got one of those Japanese dinner tables for sitting on the floor...

Anywho, a rubber mat or a heavy duty cloth/canvas would protect the floor from the weight. Expect a small amount of food/water etc. to get trapped around the bottom edge of the tank. If there is carpeting down, then watch out for the tack board under the edge of the carpet. The bottom of the tank has to be supported evenly all the way across or it could blow out a seal from the uneven pressure.

This isn't a good idea. I can't count the (thousands) of times that my tanks stands have been hit by the vaccum, balls, brooms, my feet, my lab's massive tail, etc..... and I am paranoid about these things around my tanks anyway. Just normal day to day activity around the tank could bring catastrophic events. How many times do you drop something. I have never observed a permanent tank set up placed directly onto the floor even when I was a poor college student.

Same question as above. Why would you want to have a tank on the floor, since you won't be able to appreciate it anyway? That is, unless you have a breeding tank or quarantine tank or something that is more for utilitarian purposes other than enjoying your fish.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend it. If you decide to do so however, 1/2 inch styrofoam should work well to even out minor imperfections and bumps on the floor.

I would never place a tank directly on the floor. It should at least be on a platforn raised 4 inches off the floor so that vacuums and wayward feet don't hit and crack the glass.

I could see doing this for a breeder or quarrantine tank, but not for a 55 gal show tank - it would be hard to view the fish without lying on your belly!

Back
Top Bottom