55 gallon peaceful community suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I recently just settled into my new house and I'm ready to start my freshwater tank again. I've previously had a stock of 2 Bolivian Rams, 7 harlequin rasboras, 7 marbled hatchetfish, and a bristlenose pleco.
I'm really looking to have a more color this go around, what colorful cichlids do you suggest, along with tank mates.
The tank will be fully planted, with a sand bottom.
I'm also open to any other odd stocking suggestions. I'm tempted to have a ropefish tank. ?
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So....colorful peaceful cichlids that don't eat plants and will work in a 55g tank :)

How about Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, also called the Blue Ram or GBR.

I saw rope fish at the pet store last time I was there. So cool looking and so creepy at the same time hahaha. I was tempted to get one but I don't know anything about them so figured I should do my research first.

As for cichlids, I have tiger oscars in my community tank and they are a gorgeous addition.

So....colorful peaceful cichlids that don't eat plants and will work in a 55g tank :)

How about Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, also called the Blue Ram or GBR.

I really would love to have some gbr's , but the last time I tried that out, my pair ended up being just one solo sad male. So I traded him in for 2 Bolivians.
What tank mates would you suggest, preferably a tight net schooling fish.
Thanks for your input!:)

I saw rope fish at the pet store last time I was there. So cool looking and so creepy at the same time hahaha. I was tempted to get one but I don't know anything about them so figured I should do my research first.

As for cichlids, I have tiger oscars in my community tank and they are a gorgeous addition.

They absolutely do catch ones eye, I've been researching them for months now, they are pretty reclusive when they are alone, but in a group they are much more active. So I'm not to sure if I want to dedicate my whole tank to a family of ropes. Very very tempting though.

I really would love to have some gbr's , but the last time I tried that out, my pair ended up being just one solo sad male. So I traded him in for 2 Bolivians.
What tank mates would you suggest, preferably a tight net schooling fish.
Thanks for your input!:)
THe trick with GBR's is finding quality stock. So many of them have been hormoned up or poorly bred.

I think most tetras would work with GBR's. I am partial to rummynose.

Oh, I've always wanted a large aquarium. If only I wasn't stuck with my 20 gal. (read that in an English accent, high pitched lady's voice XD)

I absolutely love small and fast fish and one or a pair of centrepiece fish wold look beautiful in your tank.
I suggest getting 4-8 schools of 5-10 schooling fish such as tetras or rasboras.

For the centrepiece I'm not sure if you have the two Bolivians or not but if you do not then a gourami pair would look amazing. You could also get a group of gouramis, as in 3/4 females and 2/1 male(s) which would also be a colourful stocking idea.

My initial suggestion was to add angels but I think you'd have to separate mating angels where as gourami fry can live in the tank with protection. Angels seem to be high maintenance as well but in my experience gouramis are pretty easy going.

Thank you for considering my suggestion in advance!

Namirah:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Ropefish are amazing (my favorite), but you can't get just one, you'll need 3 or so. They love to swim in and out of tubes and caves. I hand feed mine small crickets and baby red wiggler worms (Ropefish are easily out competed for food). They are not aggressive, but have been known to eat fish that are small enough to fit in their mouths (such as neons or danios). I've even seen a ropefish bullied by a group of tiger barbs.

I currently have a 55 gallon (a 60 gallon hob filter), stocked with 4 ropefish, a pair of German blue Rams, a siamese algae eater, an African butterfly, and two fully grown/large angel fish. I do 20 to 25% water changes each week, occasionally skipping a week and doing a 35% wc to catch up the following week. I haven't had any water quality issues (since cycling completed a couple years ago).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413432599.772442.jpgAbove, is a picture of the caves I built using small wide mouth vases and rocks.

If you have any questions about ropefish, don't hesitate to ask.

Are they quite timid? The ones I saw at the pet store mostly hid behind the rock decoration and didn't really move around much. Of course this could be due to the fact that they're stressed out about being in the pet store. Basically I'm wondering if I get some whether I'll ever see them lol

You'll see them. They will of course hide when they're stressed (such as at the pet store, or when you first get them). Pet stores don't do them justice. Getting to watch 3 to 4 of them playing and splashing is really fun. I wish I new how to post a video on here (I've got quite a few).
Again, you'll also need a couple ropefish in order for them to be out more often. Like any fish, they are also more active following feeding time, so try to feed them at a time you'll be home to watch the activity.

You MUST have a tight fitting lid (no gaps bigger than a quarter inch, and if by chance you have a missing ropefish, check your filter immediately!
They require surface air to breathe, and are actually a fish that can drown if they do not have access to the surface. I keep my water level at the bottom of the rim, this allows them 1 inch between the top of the water to the lid.

If you go with rams or a pair of gouramis, such as leeri-Pearl, you could still do a group of 4-5 Rope fish. For the middle of the tank a school of 8-10 normal Black Neons and 4-6 albino Black Neons would add a lot of action. The Black Neons get larger and are too fast for Rope fish to catch. If you skip the Ropes than you could go with a pair of gouramis, Black Neons of both types, Rummy Nose Tetras-6-8 and the rams on the bottom.

Here is a different idea from the, "What the heck is that group, do a group of Rope fish and 4 females, 1 male Golden Wonder Killie fish. These killies get to 4" and are aggressive to smaller fish, neon tetras are just a good snack to them. You could also do a school of say 6-8 larger Australions.

I
Ropefish are amazing (my favorite), but you can't get just one, you'll need 3 or so. They love to swim in and out of tubes and caves. I hand feed mine small crickets and baby red wiggler worms (Ropefish are easily out competed for food). They are not aggressive, but have been known to eat fish that are small enough to fit in their mouths (such as neons or danios). I've even seen a ropefish bullied by a group of tiger barbs.

I currently have a 55 gallon (a 60 gallon hob filter), stocked with 4 ropefish, a pair of German blue Rams, a siamese algae eater, an African butterfly, and two fully grown/large angel fish. I do 20 to 25% water changes each week, occasionally skipping a week and doing a 35% wc to catch up the following week. I haven't had any water quality issues (since cycling completed a couple years ago).
View attachment 253093Above, is a picture of the caves I built using small wide mouth vases and rocks.

If you have any questions about ropefish, don't hesitate to ask.

I would of never imagined ropefish and gbr's living in the same tank. You pretty much just blew my mind! I'm almost sure I'm going to try a pair of gbr's and a trio of ropes.
I'm still open to ideas for some other fish that would be compatible with it's tank mates.
Also, what do you feed your ropes and cichlids?

If you're going to do GBRs and ropes, just make sure you have LOTS of caves. (For 3 ropes and a pair of GBRs, I'd do 6 caves.)

I feed my ropes and GBRs sinking shrimp pellets in the mornings, and frozen blood worms when I get home from work. I also hand feed my ropes: small live crickets (from the pet store), dry tubifex cubes, and pieces of regular worms. (I've tried meal worms but they're too difficult for the ropes.

With ropes and GBRs, keep your tank temp at 78 degrees to accommodate both. Also, both species stay primarily at the bottom, except for when the ropes play or decide to lounge on floating plants. So you'll want to think about something for the upper portion of the tank.

What type of filter do you have?

Back
Top Bottom