5g Fish Ideas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kellifer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for some fish that are small enough to fit in a five gallon tank. I'd like fish that are colorful and have personality if possible. Thanks.

Well in a tank that small it depends on how well it is filtered. If it is filtered well you might beable to do a small group of peacefull fish. I had 6 Neon tetras in a 5 gallon and it worked greated (I did have a 10 gallon filter on it.) The only down side is they don't exactly zip around. Maybe 4 or 5 Harlequin rasbora? Once again I would only do this if you keep up on cleaning or over-filter the tank. If not, a Beta would probably be the best option.

beta of the plakat/halfmoon plakat variety just because of the size, 1-2 nerite snails of any kind i recomend the horned nerite snails all nerits dont breed in fresh water... aquascape it with some nice drift wood maby a nice rock and some low maintnence plants (java ferns, java moss, anubias, dwarf hair grass carpet, duckweed/indian fern/amazon frog bit as floating) make the things in the tank look good and the fish is just an addition thats the best thing to do with small tanks

Oh have you considered shrimp? I just got some shrimp and I love them. The ghost shrimp actually swim around. The red cherry shrimp are very pretty too.

cherry shrimp would actualy be a realy cool adition to what i listed above but you might have to decide between the snails and the shrimp because i dont know how the 2 will get along but you could get a smaller crayfish or freshwater lobster that would do good in a 5gal tank just feed the beta "hikari bio-gold beta" food all the other foods i have tried made my beta sick that blood worm/brine shrimp anything that sinks the cray fish, shrimp, or snails will get but if you go for cray fish a sinking protien based pelet food is recomended once again i would go with hikari you pay more but its quality

I don't think snails and shrimp are a problem together. Shrimp are fast and can swim and snails have a hard shell. I don't see why they wouldn't work together. (I have an onion snail in with my shrimp)

well then your options have now increased but i would do Nerite snails because the dont eat plants like mystery/onion snails with a crayfish they do come in cool colours and a nice large halfmoon plakat beta but the shrimps would be easyer if you decided to plant the tank the crayfish cam be a bit "rough" on planted tanks

Onion snails, or at least the ones I have are Nerite snails. They will leave plants alone and won't reproduce. Mine lays eggs but they never hatch.

No to neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. They both school and are too active. (If your Neons just sat around, Kevin, then there was something wrong.)
Also, typically it's suggested you get a filter rated for two times the size of your tank even when you're not overstocking.
Your options are limited: 1 african dwarf frog, 1 betta, snails, shrimp. There's not much readily available for that size tank.

Edit: i should clarify, by readily available i mean typically found in stores.

Okay. I have a heated tank. Is that okay for a betta?? EDIT: this is just a tank for me to start with. If i like it Ill get a larger one.

There are a lot of other fish that would be appropriate. They aren't going to be available at the typical chain store though. Boraras species, micro-danios, sparkling gourami, chocolate gourami, pygmy cories, etc. Inverts are a very good option. A betta is too. The key to stocking a small tank IME is to do it gradually and over a longer period.

Back
Top Bottom