6 gal or 10 gal?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whats Better 6 gal or 10 gal or even 125 gal for a 14 year old new comer to the fish loving world?

• 10 Gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Gallons

• 125 gallons

• Wait till you have money or just dont get one

• Total voters
Menagerie and other are right. I was in your very same position just over a year ago. I bought a 20gal kit on impulse and ended up replacing alot of the equipment out right after. Do the research first, that was my mistake. You can probably find 20gal kits for the 100 bucks you were talking about. also might be cheaper ordering online. Maybe get just the tank at walmart and order the rest online. My other mistake was not getting a big enough tank the first time. You may want to but the stuff slowly... ...like this month pick up the tank hood and lights, next month the filter and deco... ...start cycling... you get the point. Since starting a new tank requires alot of patience this might be the way to learn that patience. Also while you're saving up for the next purchase you can be researching the fish you would like to keep and not just what'll fit in your tank. I think if your gonna be in this hobby for awhile then maybe the 20gal or bigger is the way to go. Also it is actually easier to keep water healthy with a larger tank than a smaller tank. The reason is that there is more water to dilute any harmful materials that enter the tank. Hope this helps and good luck. Again remember that it's all about the research first... ...buy second. Be sure to keep us posted on how it;s going and ask any questions when they come up, Everyone here is awesome and helpful... so take advantage of it. oh and post some pics when its set up.

lol thanks for all the advice but i really think im gonna get a 10 gal to start with maybe i can get it this weekend :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D but then again my parent prolly wont lemme get it :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( well i gotta go my sister is in the Talent Show at my high school

You can get a 10g kit at Walmart for 30$ with out heater and incandescent lighting or a 10g kit for 50$ with heater and fluorescent lighting. :)

Those are what I started off with. That was it, it was a start. And well i got hooked and upgraded soon after. One of them have become a sump tank ant the other is down right now. i have upgraded. that is something to think about also. I wish I would have got my 55 in the first place. (O:

I voted for the 10 gal, but I wish you had a choice for get as big as you can afford and have the space. Also, at first $100 seemed a bit pricey, but I suppose once you get a hood decent heater and filter you will probably have close to $100 into it for a new set up.

Another option since you are just starting out would be to check the classified adds for any deals. That way you might be able to get a slightly larger tank for the same money. Personally I think a 20-30 gal would be a better starter tank for FW. The cost and amount of room they take up is not that much more. If you were closer to WI I know my brother has a 25 gal eclipse complete setup minus stand he would let go for $50-75

If you grow to like the hobby I think you will soon find yourself limited with anything smaller. Check out the adds you may find something very reasonable.

Anyway you started off on the right foot by coming to AA. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom