90 gallon stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmquinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,
I’m currently moving into my first home so naturally I want the large fish tank I could’ve never kept in my apartments. I have always wanted angelfish but it felt too risky to put them in my 36 gallon, so instead I have a plethora of nano fish in there.
I am looking into a 90 gallon, but would settle for a 75 if one popped up for a good price. Any way this leads me to my first question:
1. Aqadvisor says the stocking percentage is the same on both tanks with the same amount of fish. I assume this is because they have the same footprint, but what does this really mean for stocking?
2. I want to keep a group of five angelfish, is it taboo to keep odd numbers?
3. I also want 5 pearl gouramis. Has anyone had experience with pearls and angels together?
4. Is a 90 gallon with 5 angels, 5 pearls, and 15-25 schooling fish overstocked?

You can do 5 angelfish but you'll have to watch out for them pairing up and breeding. Angelfish get aggressive when they lay eggs.

You can do 5 angelfish but you'll have to watch out for them pairing up and breeding. Angelfish get aggressive when they lay eggs.

Do they get aggressive with other species in the tank? Or just the other angels?

Would a trio or a quintet be better to subdue harm for the fish? Would it be best to do 2 males to a female. I heard the females are the more aggressive.

It's not really a question of how many angels, though having more means you're more likely to get a mated pair. It's that any mated pair will get aggressive about defending its "nest" and will keep the other fish out. A 75 might be big enough to deal with one pair (I don't recall how big a territory angels usually claim).

I have 4 angelfish, 2 of them a pair (although not a very good pair, they always eat the eggs within a couple of days). They do chase the other 2 angelfish for a few days prior to egglaying, but not to extent of causing harm. They only take notice of the other fish if they get too close to their eggs, and again never to the extent of harming anything. When they arent looking after eggs they take no notice of other fish at all.

They probably eat the eggs due to the other fish in the tank stressing them, i accept that, but Ive never seen them do more than chasing the others away.

It all depends on the individual temperaments of the fish i guess.

Okay thank you for the advice on the angelfish. I think I’ll start with juveniles so their personalities develop together. I want all black ones so they pop with the pearl gouramis. Thinking more about schooling fish, I’m thinking about a school of glass catfish.

Also I add shrimp to all of my aquariums I know the angels will eat them, which is fine. I think I’ll just get a ton of ghost shrimp so they keep a stock up from breeding.

Plot twist I ended up finding a 140 gallon for a good price! I’ll show the set up soon :). Stocking on aqadvisor is still nearly identical to the 75?????

Are you putting a bigger filter into the larger tank? I find the stocking advice on aqadvisor to be determined more by the filter than the tank size.

Are you putting a bigger filter into the larger tank? I find the stocking advice on aqadvisor to be determined more by the filter than the tank size.

I’ve been calculating without a filter because I haven’t picked one out yet. I’ll try adding one and see what happens.

Omg I went back to my aqadvisor page today and I think it lost its domain!!!
IMG_8772.jpg

Omg I went back to my aqadvisor page today and I think it lost its domain!!!

It seems to come and go. I can sometimes get it on mobile data, but not wifi. Some people say they can get it on some browsers, not others. Ive seen some people suggest ad blockers get it to come up. It seems to be there, but there must be some particular way needed to connect.

If anyone has a way of consistently connecting, i would like to know too.

Okay so the lady selling the 140 flaked. But now I’m getting a 125. Was looking at prices for glass catfish and they are STEEP especially if o want to do a school of 25. Has anyone found them for a reasonable price?

Here is the new 125 with me showing off
IMG_8816.jpg
Now I’m really curious about stocking and the glass catfish. They are just so expensive wondering if there are any other schooling fish with a unique look that wouldn’t detract from the subtlety in a pearl gourami. Don’t really want any bright colors.

Think big, you have the most excellent blank canvas there. Glass catfish look cool but they're pretty boring over all. They seem to stage in one place and stay there most of the time. You want some activity or a more subdued scene?

Think big, you have the most excellent blank canvas there. Glass catfish look cool but they're pretty boring over all. They seem to stage in one place and stay there most of the time. You want some activity or a more subdued scene?

I am really set on having pearl gouramis and angelfish. Just looking for a schooling fish to fill in the area. I don’t want anything bright like neons to detract attention from the big fish. I don’t mind they’re temperament so much, as long as their coloration fits in with the bigger fish

Angel's are pretty fiesty. Theyll eat what they can. They will out compete the gourami for food for the most part so you'll need to get crafty with that. As for the shoal.... zebra danios? Rainbow fish would be perfect but they're pretty

Angel's are pretty fiesty. Theyll eat what they can. They will out compete the gourami for food for the most part so you'll need to get crafty with that. As for the shoal.... zebra danios? Rainbow fish would be perfect but they're pretty

Lol “but they’re pretty”. I was thinking about rainbows for a minute, but they’re just as big as the gouramis. Maybe something a little smaller than the other two to look small and herd like. Preferably non colored maybe like headlight rainbow fish (I think that’s what they’re called), maybe penguin tetras, even rummy nose is too much color for what I’m going for. That’s why I was originally thinking glass catfish. Just trying to think of other schooling fish with a lack of color but will form in mass.

Back
Top Bottom