A few questions from a novice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank 48Lx12Wx21H. My filter is a hang on Aqueon quiet flow 55. I only have 3 fish - 1 common pleco, 1 dojo loach, and 1 glass cat. I had more at one point but they died. I know the loach and glass cat need friends and they're coming soon. But before I can add more I need some pointers or advice. . .

My first question is my tank over stocked?

How many more fish can I add until its too much?

Should I get a bigger filter?

When changing the filters should I just replace both cartridges and toss the old cartridges or replace one cartridge at a time?

SsoSqnq

Last edited:
Youn are far from overstocked. Try out aqadvisor.com for stocking help. Sorry but I don't know anything about your filter. When replacing filter cartdriges only replace ones where the filter floss is pretty shredded and replace one at a time a week or so apart.

Your cartridge should last a month, just rinse it off in tank water to clean it.
Filter should be fine as long as you keep up with your water changes.
As for the pleco... Common plecos get huge and may even outgrow a 55. Make sure you have a backup plan just in case. They also stop eating algae when they get older.

Your Tank

I have a 55 gallon tank 48Lx12Wx21H. My filter is a hang on Aqueon quiet flow 55. I only have 3 fish - 1 common pleco, 1 dojo loach, and 1 glass cat. I had more at one point but they died. I know the loach and glass cat need friends and they're coming soon. But before I can add more I need some pointers or advice. . .

My first question is my tank over stocked?

How many more fish can I add until its too much?

Should I get a bigger filter?

When changing the filters should I just replace both cartridges and toss the old cartridges or replace one cartridge at a time?

SsoSqnq

Hello Ray...

You can have quite a few more fish. I have a heavily planted 55 gallon tank that has close to 100 Fancy Guppies, Red Wag Platys and Red Eyed Tetras. The key to tank keeping is removing and replacing most of the tank water every week. Pure water conditions guarantee healthy fish. If there's no trace of ammonia or nitrite and low nitrates, the fish thrive. Mechanical filters can be minimal, a couple of dual sponge filters is all you need. Because you're replacing so much water every week, the filters are simply moving clean water. Water changes replace minerals and oxygen. Research the fish you want before you get them. They need to be able to get along with one another.

B

Hello, hate to be the one to give you bad news but you will have issues w/dojo loach(weather loach).
I purchased 2 from petco on impulse. When I got home I researched & found they are a cold water fish(62-72°)& live 8-10yrs but if kept in tropical temps will shorten lifespan by half. Now have a unplanned 55gal fancy goldfish tank now so I could keep them!!!!! Hope this helps.20181125_062008.jpg20190326_173107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom