A hand-me-down rainbow shark is coming... what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wow. In 6 months I have gone from fish noob to the person who people take their unwanted fish to. :eek:

My stepmom, a schoolteacher, keeps a small tank in her classroom and apparently she has a rainbow shark in it that can't wait for summer break to be moved. The thing's 5 inches long, and the tank is a 5-gallon. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. "They just seem to grow for me", she says.

So the question is, if I make some room in my 29G freshwater tank for this guy by taking some of the smaller fish elsewhere, will it work? Do these fish generally get along with others?

Any other bottom dwellers in the tank? Give it a cave or hollow decoration of sorts to claim as territory.

I'm trying to picture a 5" rainbow shark in a 5 gallon tank, can't be pretty. Does he have tank mates in the 5?

Sounds like there are other fish in the 5 gallon.

My 29 gallon has a few cory cats, and the cherry barbs which also tend to hang out in the bottom to middle water. There is a large dark space between the driftwood and the java ferns in the back which I hope will suffice as a 'cave' of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom