Activated carbon the fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought a little white sac from petsmart a few months ago and its for holding carbon and putting it in the filter... But my filters do not have enough space so i want to tie the sac with carbon to the suction tube thing (dont know what its called)

Tying it to the intake tube won't do any good. You'll have to put it inside of the filter if you want to use it, but most people here will tell you just to save it to remove things from the water such as medicine. I find little need for it and it needs to be replaced every month. There's nothing carbon can do that a good water change schedule can't do. Carbon also will remove things you may want in the water like plant fertilizers.

+1 with laser

Don't bother with carbon unless your looking to remove meds. In a month or so they lose the chemical filtration and become part of the bio-filter.

Laser said:
Tying it to the intake tube won't do any good. You'll have to put it inside of the filter if you want to use it, but most people here will tell you just to save it to remove things from the water such as medicine. I find little need for it and it needs to be replaced every month. There's nothing carbon can do that a good water change schedule can't do. Carbon also will remove things you may want in the water like plant fertilizers.

I actually want to use it to remove tannins from my drift wood because it is not getting any clearer...

On a wisper depending on the model you can add alittle extra media inside the filter bag. I have the Wisper EX70 on a 20 holding tank and with that model I can just slit the top of the white media bag, pour in alittle of whatever media, then make sure the open ends are firmly under the holding lip when I put them back in their holder. The old Wisper I have where you just slid the white media bag off the plastic holder, you could just add whatever in. For tannins Purgen works the longest the fastest and with the least amount of media. Carbon if you can only use a little will have to be replaced as soon as you see tannin color getting darker.

Back
Top Bottom