Add a frog maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlanneryLoach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When I first started keeping fish I had a bad experience with having a frog. My 5 gallon I bought from Wal Mart barely worked and did not move the water. I added a betta and a frog but they both died on the same day about a month later. They never fought but I did notice the frog spending much of his time at the surface. I think there is a chance that suffocation played a role in their deaths. They were both very sluggish but showed no signs of discoloration or stress.

I have since bought a new filter and an air pump. I have three male guppies in the tank who get along famously. Would it be okay to add an African dwarf frog to this mix? Would that exceed the biological load? If not, could I add two more guppies maybe?

For reference, I clean the gravel and replace 25% of the water about every five days, no longer than a week. I wouldn't mind doing this more often as I find it to be fun. :)

It's pretty likely your first tank wasn't cycled. If you have a test kit, post the values in the current tank; if not, then it's a good idea to invest in one. The tank should be filly cycled before adding an ADF.

An ADF could be added, but they need a little more care. Frozen or live foods are almost absolutely needed as their eyesight is subpar. If not, you may have problems getting them to eat. See how your LFS feeds them. They will spend a lot of time floating on top as they still need to breathe air. They will be more sensitive to nitrite and ammonia since they have no scales and to a degree breathe through their skin.

My first tank was cycled with a few zebra danios who lived happily in the tank for two months. I have test strips (not as accurate, I know) and I always check to make sure the nitrates, hardness, ammonia, etc., are at a good level. I should really get a kit, are they more complicated? :n00b:

So the frogs only breathe from the surface? I didn't know that. Now I'm really curious as to what killed those two. It's scary :-?

hmmm I had two ADF's, lived happily in a tank without gravel, aquaclear fliter and air stone. Did the whole bloodworm and brine shrimp thing when they were smaller, as they got older I switched to plain ol worm bait for fish that I got at the local gas station, boy did those do the trick. Those froggies were HUGE and healthly....sadly I didn't have a timer back then for the heat..and left it on while I was down with the flu. Miss those guys :[ But they lived a happy life while they were kicking.

O. BTW. There very sensitive to light, so a lower wattage would be perferred. I barly had mine on. They much rather liked natural sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom