Adding a plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen this going around too. It's to do with all the build up of 'stuff' being good for the plant roots, but OP's plant is sitting above the substrate on a husk so gravel vacuuming will be fine for them. I vacuum my gravel once a week, focusing on either the left or right side of the tank, not going too deep into the gravel around the plant roots. But that's also to keep the fish good and healthy.

No gravel vaccuming in a planted tank.? No ones ever told me that. Interesting

You have never seen that? That is one of the basics. Look at it this way, when you plant flowers outside, why do people use manure? Because it gives the plants nutrients. Same thing for aquatic plants. They need the nutrients, especially if you do not add ferts and CO2. I have had planted tank for 3 years. Want to know how many gravel vacuums I have done? Zero. The only thing I do is vacuum what is floating on top. Your plants need nutrients to grow or algae will out-compete them.

I read that liquid fertilizers do more for these plants than tabs. Is seachem flourish or seachem flourish excel better?

I've seen this going around too. It's to do with all the build up of 'stuff' being good for the plant roots, but OP's plant is sitting above the substrate on a husk so gravel vacuuming will be fine for them. I vacuum my gravel once a week, focusing on either the left or right side of the tank, not going too deep into the gravel around the plant roots. But that's also to keep the fish good and healthy.

The husk is just a gimmick from the store. The plant will not live too long in that environment. You can get what is on top, but going into the gravel is a bad idea and does not affect the fish. Think about it in the wild, who vacuums that substrate. Ain't nobody got time for that! :cool:

The husk is just a gimmick from the store. The plant will not live too long in that environment. You can get what is on top, but going into the gravel is a bad idea and does not affect the fish. Think about it in the wild, who vacuums that substrate. Ain't nobody got time for that! :cool:

Sure sure but my cories don't live in the wild and their barbel erosion is due in part to the crud build up in the gravel.
I wasn't aware of the husk thing.

Also, root tabs are good for root heavy plants, or plants that absorb a lot of their nutrients from their roots.

I read that liquid fertilizers do more for these plants than tabs. Is seachem flourish or seachem flourish excel better?

Using both and quite happy. Never used tabs and don't need to really, my plants are doing spectacularly.

So some plants are root feeders. For example, I use root tabs, CO2, fertilizers, and a small dose of Excel. For your situation, you need root tabs because your substrate is bare of any nutrients. Which is why I suggest changing the gravel because since you can't do gravel vacuums anymore, the detritus will stick out with you bright colored substrate. Take it from experience. That is why I changed my substrate detailed in my signature hyperlink. Excel is supposed to be like CO2, but not really. I priced it out, and over time Excel costs more than just doing CO2. CO2 has a higher upfront cost though, but costs me $10 per year now to keep it running. Not bad.

Since you are new, I would suggest for now to change the substrate, and add some low maintenance plants. If you like it and really want to take it to the next level, then we can talk about CO2. But at a minimum your plants need some nutrients, just like you can't survive off of just water.

Keep in mind that plants like anubias can and will grow clinging to things like rocks and husks and whatnot, they don't need to be put in the substrate.

I read lightly vacuuming the top layer of the gravel will be fine. Is this true? I just concerned detritus may cause problems.

Sure sure but my cories don't live in the wild and their barbel erosion is due in part to the crud build up in the gravel.
I wasn't aware of the husk thing.

Also, root tabs are good for root heavy plants, or plants that absorb a lot of their nutrients from their roots.

What type of gravel are you using. It might be that. Cories really need sand. Gravel is what is giving your cories a hard time. Just because they aren't living in the wild does not mean they don't have the characteristics like their wild brethren do.

I read lightly vacuuming the top layer of the gravel will be fine. Is this true? I just concerned detritus may cause problems.

Like I said in my post, that is fine. Just getting what is floating on top of the gravel is perfectly fine and encouraged. Just don't go into the gravel. :)

What type of gravel are you using. It might be that. Cories really need sand. Gravel is what is giving your cories a hard time. Just because they aren't living in the wild does not mean they don't have the characteristics like their wild brethren do.

Small grain, rounded, not sharp or pointy. It's not the gravel causing it, it's what is in the gravel.
I never said they don't have the characteristics of wild fish, they are not adapted to wild situations.

So if I were to add a sand substrate would that be better? How do you clean that ?

So if I were to add a sand substrate would that be better? How do you clean that ?

Sand is good because it is extremely easy to plant in and for plants that have fine roots, it is easy for them to develop. You would clean it like I suggested you clean your current gravel. Another good gravel is Seachem Flourite. You just need to rinse it out first. That is what I have actually, with a layer of sand on the very bottom. ADA Aquasoil is loved by many in the high-tech aquariums, but it degrades after two years. thats why I went to the Flourite instead. Flourite is clay based, and over time soak up nutrients. I got the dark brown color so you can't see the detritus. And darker substrates make your fish's color pop out more. Fish will naturally brighten their color in darker areas because they want to be seen by the opposite sex. :brows:

I would really suggest to follow my hyperlink below as it will help educate you, and has before and after pictures. At the beginning I had light colored pebbles essentially, and now I don't!

Your tank could go into a mini cycle if you do it all at once. I've seen suggestions that you do it half and half over a couple of days. I don't know how true it is.
Your filter also has BB in it that would help in this situation. Perhaps someone with more experience in this could weigh in.

Adding this gravel my tank would have to cycle again?

Again, for the third time, just go look at my link. It is literally right below this post in my signature. All of your questions are answered in it, and how to do it without having a full cycle. I did a full gravel change. I even had to take an extra step in changing my filter, which you are not doing. Just read it and your questions will be answered. There are even answers to questions you don't know you need to ask yet.

Again, for the third time, just go look at my link. It is literally right below this post in my signature. All of your questions are answered in it, and how to do it without having a full cycle. I did a full gravel change. I even had to take an extra step in changing my filter, which you are not doing. Just read it and your questions will be answered. There are even answers to questions you don't know you need to ask yet.

If he's on mobile he won't see the signature or link.

If I were to add the flourite gravel do I need to add the sand or is that just a preference you chose?

Back
Top Bottom