Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

African dwarf frogs and amplexus

Ive had an African dwarf frog for about six months. I finally went and bought a friend for it Sunday, and when I woke up Monday morning they were already in amplexus. That went on for literally the entire day, and at least most of the night, when I woke up Tuesday morning they were apart. I left for work, came home at 230, and they were doing it again. They came apart around 11am today, I went and ran some errands, and they're doing it again. Is this normal? I moved them to another tank yesterday, I'd say there's about 100 little eggs floating around the top, not to mention the ones that sunk to the bottom. Why does he keep going back for more every few hours? Do I separate them? (The adults. I know to separate them from the embryos). Or do I just keep letting them do their thing?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have enough hiding places in your tank for her? Give her some plants and rocks/decorations to hide under, if not. I wouldn't separate them in the process, that's just not safe for them. Otherwise, just make sure the water level is low enough that they can get air as needed and maybe consider getting another frog or two to break up the party or switching her out for a male.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you!! I do have a few plants, but probably not enough though. Poor thing
Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not too sure but I would get a bubbler, adjustable to keep good circulation, and maybe they will hatch.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Theyre in the tank that the frogs were in with a heater and filter, I separated the frogs to keep him off her for a bit. They've already started hatching!! I foUnd about ten tadpoles last night!!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thats pretty exciting!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african, african dwarf frog, african dwarf frogs, dwarf, dwarf frog, frog, frogs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com