aggressive female guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newguppygirls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I'm new to keeping guppies, i hve had other fish in the past, fighters an a oscar.

I got two guppies an a cory from a fish store, they were all in the same tank.(so i dont think its a peking order) The guppies are ready to spawn, I was advised to up the salt in their tank to help with the spawning, both have babies.. blue isnt as far along as orange.

Now orange tail guppy is agressive to the other two fish, more so to blue guppy. It been like this for a few days now.

I have to wait to get a brithing tank, also i have upped their food from once a day to twice (morning an night before lights out)

I have a video of what is happening.

Please help! I'm not sure what else I can do!

How big is the tank they are in?
Honestly, guppies can be rather jerky sometimes to other fish. They are generally peaceful, but sometimes you will find a more aggressive one. It is not that uncommon. If the tank is big enough, you can separate them. You can also try re-arranging the tank. Or, add more plants and decor (real or silk) so the less aggressive guppy has more places to escape from the more aggressive guppy.

they are in a 20L tank, i'm going to break up the plant i have in there already.

it seem no matter were blue hides (an the cory) the aggissive girl hunts them down.

I dont think its her trying to be the queen of the tank as they were in the fish shop together, altho when i picked the orange one out she was kinda hiding from the others.

they were fine for the frist few days then she started getting agro..

If the aggro guppy is that mean, you may have to rehome her to bring down the stress levels in the tank. Are those the only 3 fish in the tank?
I would still try a re-scape though and see if it works.

They are the only three in the tank, re-scaped the tank an the other half came home with a breeder net for her, I only have the one tank for the fish at this stage, so i cant rehome her yet.

Agro girl is in the net now an still goin after the blue, the blue knows that she is being bullied as she "bows" her head an acts submissive.

Fingers crossed that the net will help.

Would getting a male help in any way?

Maybe. But, I wouldn't count on it. There is a chance that adding a few more gups would change up the dynamic in the tank and take pressure off that 1 female. No guarantees of course. But, you could try it if you want.

okies,

i was looking at getting some boys anyway.

blue is much happier now she isnt getting bullied, an kinda teases the orange one...

well we have to see how things go after the "queen" pops her bubbas

okies,

i was looking at getting some boys anyway.

blue is much happier now she isnt getting bullied, an kinda teases the orange one...

well we have to see how things go after the "queen" pops her bubbas

Lol, not sure if she will pop her bubble, she may always want to be queen. :p

I agree, guppies can be little stinkers. Thats why I like them!

I think you are dealing with a combination of pregnancy and establishing the boss in a new environment.
And the lack of males to chase the ladies. . .

My two female guppies chased each other when I first got them, too. Even tho they were in another tank together at the store, the environment changed and they had to decide who is boss in the new tank. But I also had some males so there was more going on to distract them. The big girl is now the leader and the two females are friends. They are always together.

Except when one is ready to give birth. Then she wants NOTHING to do with anyone in the tank. She picks a spot by the heater and chases everyone away.

i get home after work, (8 pm to 2am) an i have to find babies for half an hour cause Blue decided to give birth in the tank!! lol

Now Blue an Queen (yes that what i named them) are happy to be together again, altho Queen is still looking fat, a close eye on that girl!

Anyway I feed blue an got her into the net with queen to grab the babies... mannage to find 7, all looking ok but one has a deformed eye... see how it goes.

tired but happy! :lol:

thanks sandy, i'll keep it in mind, i want to wait till queen has had her babies (bubba's)

I have now made a make shift home for the babies so agro girl (Queen) can be put back into the breaders net, as she was still being agressive to Blue, however it wasnt as bad as before.

And here are some of my new babies. :D

Attachments

• FILE00311522973134.jpg
    FILE00311522973134.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 106
I have now made a make shift home for the babies so agro girl (Queen) can be put back into the breaders net, as she was still being agressive to Blue, however it wasnt as bad as before.

And here are some of my new babies. :D

Cute babies! They are so tiny

:) :)

Bet the two mamas will get along even better with time. Like the names you gave them!

If I had to do it again, I would have either all males or all females - they multiply like rabbits. :p

-Sandy

Back
Top Bottom