Air stones to fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

citroen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 tanks that sit side by side so I brought a air pump with 2 outlets, it came with tubing, 2 one way valves and 2 stones.
I put one stone in tank 'A' and the other in 'B'.
All works a treat but it seems to me it is to powerful.
Can I get 2 twisty thingy's to regulate the air output or will this harm the pump.

I forgot to add, why do we need an air stone?
I would have edited the above post but it would not let me....sorry.

cit...

A tank doesn't need an air stone, if you're changing out most of the tank water every week. The action of the new water filling the tank allows oxygen to mix with the water and pure, treated tap holds oxygen for several days, before the water needs to be replaced.

If you still want a bit more oxygen mixed, then simply attach a tube to the air pump and run the tube down the side of the tank without the air stone. The larger bubbles created by the larger opening in the tube will generate more water movement and increase the oxygen level.

Remember, by adding more oxygen to the water, you release the same amount of carbon dioxide the plants need.

B

U can use a a valve to control air supply but if ur pump is powerful then reducing air supply will cause ur pump to make a little noise. U can get a low powerful pump. By the way if u r using it to oxygenate ur tank than powerful is good because it will move the water surface good. Please note oxygen is not produced by bubbles of air in water. Oxygen is produced by water surface agitation.

U can also oxygenate ur tank without air pump by using ur power head. Just make sure ur water surface movement is enough to produce oxygen.

Like below is example of water movement by power head filter.

Back
Top Bottom