Albino Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I thought about this for a week and bought 3 yesterday. They did well thru the night. Today theyre still fine but while I was cleaning my filter I noticed two of them didnt stop picking on each other. It looks preety cool. Like if theyre kissing and kissing and kissing.

Well then. I dunno if any of you xperts have goss any of this fish. Theyre very preety and all. I just dunno if its normal for them to continue doing this or if i should put them in separate tanks.

TIA

Pato

I have an Albino Rainbow Shark, and I love him! But - I've read that they are very territorial with other sharks. (Mine even chases the Tiger Barbs away from his favorite cave!) The recommendation I saw was keep only 1 or keep more than 6, otherwise the strongest shark will make the weaker ones miserable.

Here is a quote from aquariumfish.net...

"But if you have less than six sharks, they'll begin to quarrel, and the weakest ones will be miserable. So if you keep Rainbow Sharks, keep one or keep several, but don't keep just a few together."

After reading that, I got just one, so I don't have the experience to know whether they eventually work out their squabbles. I have also read that they are jumpers, so make sure there are no holes they can jump through in your aquarium hood.

Good luck with the sharks!

they are very territotial and will kill the weakest ones id only keep one per 55gal of water as they get too 6"

So sad... Well then, Ill change one to the other tank and return the other one to my lfs, they did so fine together along with two bigger ones...

Thanx
Pato

For reference, do not trust aquariumfish.net too much. After researching several fish through them, I noticed that, first, most webpages disagreed to some minor extent with them, always. Second, for any aggressive fish, they ALWAYS say 1 or 6.

My research with other online sources came up with the figure of 1 adult rainbow shark (Albino or not), per roughly 75 gallons. Anything less and the smaller ones will be picked on.

I am not being funny but once you told the guy/girl at your lfs that you wanted 3 albino rainbow shark, he should have ask you what size tank you were putting them in.
IMO i think that a 10 gal tank is to small for 1 let alone 3 if you have other fish in there.

ferret said:
For reference, do not trust aquariumfish.net too much. After researching several fish through them, I noticed that, first, most webpages disagreed to some minor extent with them, always. Second, for any aggressive fish, they ALWAYS say 1 or 6.

Thanks Ferret... I'll keep that in mind, and use them just as a starting point. Now that I've found this site, I can always ask here before I get a new fish!

Back
Top Bottom