Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerky

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been getting some green water conditions lately. 2 Days ago I adjusted my light to 4.5 hours on 4.5 hours off and 4.5 hours on again. And it really didnt do too much.

Yesterday morning I had crystal clear water. After the 4.5 hours the water was green.

Now I do have some algae build up on some of my deco and glass surfaces. Should I do a complete cleaning of my deco and glass? The existing algae is a green color.

Not sure how to combat this problem at this point, suggestions?

It's a Finnex Planted+ in a 20 gallon high tank. I only have 2 plants in it, looking to add more. Maybe adding more plants will help?

It's a Finnex Planted+ in a 20 gallon high tank. I only have 2 plants in it, looking to add more. Maybe adding more plants will help?

That's likely it. Those are powerful lights. I have one myself. Case solved get more plants to absorb the light.

Caleb

It's weird, When I first got it like 4-5 weeks ago, I never had this type of build up. In the actual water. Not sure what could have changed to make the algae appear. Maybe after a couple of new days on the lighting schedule it wont be so bad.

My tank was clean for a little over a month then I had blooms of GSA on my rocks and glass. Fought it for 3 months and it's finally backed off. I have a lot more plants now as well though.

Caleb

My tank was clean for a little over a month then I had blooms of GSA on my rocks and glass. Fought it for 3 months and it's finally backed off. I have a lot more plants now as well though.

Caleb

When you got it on the glass and rocks, did you start to get green in the water?

Do you feed flake food? I alway noticed the food like Tetra would cause problems. Try Hikari foods, feed lightly Get a bag of Phosguard and put in the filter. UV would be good for the treatment untill it cleared up. You might try 3 hours of light and off then 3 hours later, like when you get up and when you get home. Fish don't need the light on.

What are water parameters and what kind are the plants?

Do you feed flake food? I alway noticed the food like Tetra would cause problems. Try Hikari foods, feed lightly Get a bag of Phosguard and put in the filter. UV would be good for the treatment untill it cleared up. You might try 3 hours of light and off then 3 hours later, like when you get up and when you get home. Fish don't need the light on.

What are water parameters and what kind are the plants?

I have maineland flake food. I will look into the Phosguard. Water params are great. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 nitrate.

I only have a java fern and anubias nana currently. Both growing well.

I just ordered 2 hornworts, a anubias nangi, and a moss ball. Hopefully the Hornwort helps.

A Finnex planted plus can support a lot more than those :D look into some medium plants if you want to get fancy.

Vallisneria and Cryptocoryne Crispatula are both wonderful plants IMO I love mine.

Caleb

I am also getting Jungle Val. Forgot to say that as well. Hopefully this will help!

A UV filter will clear up green water (algae in suspension) but will not affect algae on glass or rocks etc.. UV also combats milky bacterial blooms. I have read on the forum many times to use UV to combat these problems but I would recommend continuing with the UV if you've spent out a lot of money on it. Providing the wattage is high enough and the water flow slow enough the UV is a great none chemical way to control free swimming parasites and bacteria. If your aim is to purchase a UV system then research well and get one that will continue to act as a long term health insurance policy beyond just clearing algae and bacterial blooms.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So it's interesting. The green water is basically gone. But now I have white cloudy water. I read it could be come type of bacterial bloom. I ran a water test last night. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20 Nitrate. My understanding its just a matter of doing more water changes and doing some extra gravel vacs.

Any other tips? Maybe cut feeding to a very small amount?

If it is white and almost pearl-y looking them it will go away in about 21 days. Changing water other than for pwc as necessary won't make it go away any faster. This has happened to me and it was ridiculous seeing a white tank for a few weeks then one day it was normal. Mine didn't quite take 21 days maybe 18-19 but maybe the previous days were part of the day count - who knows the mysteries of the tanks.

I would think a UV sterilizer would kill it off, but those are pretty spendy and not something to use on an every day basis for a planted tank.

Don't rinse the filter material in tap water or you will kill the beneficial bacteria /BB - as a side note.

Yeah I really didn't want to do a UV. The only way I would do UV is if it were built into the canister filter. Last night it didn't seem to be too bad. I did add some fish recently so maybe the extra bioload kicked it up?

That can do it. Mine happened when about 20 grass shrimp we put into the tank all about to have babies then in a few days presumably with them all dropping or hatching them and them dying caused a spike I guess and the bloom. I didn't know then they cant have babies. grow in fw and didn't know lots of other things either lol.

This morning the water is super clear. I added some new plants last night too, hopefully that will help.

Back
Top Bottom