Algae Eater Health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

algae eater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I keep losing algae eaters they last anywhere from a couple days to a few weeks. I've tried several species all with the same result.
I have a 30 gal. tank do a 40 percent water change once a month i have 11 fish of assorted species (blue and silver grommies, tetras, cherry barbs, and a catfish) all are healthy and vigorous.

Hi-
Have you tested your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH, etc)? It may be that something's not quite right with your water.
Which species have you tried?
Did they display any symptoms or just die suddenly?

Even if your water's "fine," I'd definitely step up the water changes to at least bi-weekly.

algae eaters

Have you been feeding them? They usually need, unless you have a real algae farm, supplemental feeding in the form of algae wafers, zuchini, romaine lettuce, ect...
Logan J

We have tried several species there has been several preoscopis which seem to live the longest and we just tried 2 siamese which only lived a couple of days. And they were put in right after a water change. I am persuing the possibility of something in the water however we have an albino cat who spends all of his time near the bottom and he is over a year old.

Generally we wait between buying them and there is a fairly decent supply of algae built up. However the usually die when there is still some algae in the the tank. I have tried the wafers but the other fish seem to want to eat them before the algae eater takes interest.

I definately want to pursue the water angle. We have tried several preoscopis which lived the longest and the did appear to lose interest in life and die. but recently we tried some siamese who we put in right after a water change and were very active as they had a good supply of algae to work on but the only live a few days. and they died suddenly.

If the other fish are fine, it's probably not some particular thing in the water, but could be the quality of the water. Many algae eaters are very sensitive to water conditions and quality. I'd recommend changing 25% of the water every two weeks, at least. I personally change 25% every week, and often 10% every two days.

Back
Top Bottom