algae eater suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyd

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for suggestions and opinions on getting an algae eater for my community tank. Its 36 gallon bow front and already fully stocked. Have driftwood in there that has an algae film and looking for something that would be happy to keep them clean without being a large bio load increase.

In the tank currently:
2 GBR
3 sunset dwarf gouramis
6 Cory cats
6 cardinal tetra
6 zebra danio
5 guppies

I was thinking that a couple shrimp would be fine but looking to see what others think.

Shrimps would be your best bet because of their low bioload. Normally I'd recommend something like a flying fox or oto cat but you're fully stocked. I am in no way a shrimp expert so hopefully someone who knows about em will step in. Hope I somewhat helped!

Shrimps would be your best bet because of their low bioload. Normally I'd recommend something like a flying fox or oto cat but you're fully stocked. I am in no way a shrimp expert so hopefully someone who knows about em will step in. Hope I somewhat helped!

Yep! My first thought were oto cats too, but I would have to at least get a few. While I know I could manage it, it wouldn't be fair to them I don't think. That's why I am looking at shrimp and asked. Always appreciate help and positive comments :)

There is a saying that GBR will harass or eat the shrimps (Cherry Red size).

But from what I read, it seems to depend much on luck. Some get away with it, some rare the larger Yamato shrimp.

I have balloon blue rams and I am in the progress of adding Cherry Reds to my tank too. Will find out the result after the shrimp's QT period.

I have a GBR and 2 shrimp together in my 47 gallon. No troubles yet and the ram just swims passed them. I must be one of the lucky ones. In fact, nothing bothers anything in that tank everyone gets along.

I also have 3 Ottos and my tank is super clean. Just hope they won't outcompete the shrimp for food but I do supplement with algae wafers but mainly after lights out so the other fish don't realise there's a wafer in there.

Started to leave my lights on a lot longer now to try and encourage some algae growth too.

Right now, my tank is still really young. Gourami's are the largest at about 2". Rams are still very young and just over 1". They can't even fit the 3mm sinking pellets in their mouth yet. They are also very mild, haven't seen them chase any other fish other than each other or shown any sort of aggression.

I'd get a couple of RC shrimp. I have 4 in with a betta with now problems whatsoever.

Lots of hiding places and tall plants like cabomba or Java moss will benefit the shrimp.

Have you thought about ghost shrimp? I had them in several fresh water set ups with no problems. And it is fun to watch them when they eat a colored flake of food because it turns their belly what ever color the food flake is.

That's kinda funny about ghost shrimp. But wasn't thinking about them, looking for some that have color. DanR is local to me and he sells yellow and a couple blue variants on here. Or red cherry from my LFS.

If I get the shrimp, would they be good with feeding off the driftwood I have? 3 small/medium pieces. Or would it be good to get them a marimo ball or 2 also?

A few Nerite Snails would do the trick without much impact on bio-load.

Snails are a no go. Wife doesn't like them so they're on the banned list

That I do. That was the rule when I was allowed to get this tank. Even though she doesn't care what goes in or fish in general, she has to approve of what goes in. rather frustrating. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom