Algae-Eating Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some shrimp, labeled as algae-eating shrimp, at the hatchery. The sign said they will eat hair algae. They looked just like ghost shrimp to me. I couldn't see any claws or yellow spots (something I remember from seeing the prawn pics here). The were the same size as the ghost shrimp, but maybe a bit more active. They were around $3 apiece, and the ghost shrimp were 33 cents.

Does anyone have experience with these? Ghost shrimp didn't work out for me in my betta tanks. As far as I could see, the bettas didn't bother the shrimps, but the shrimps just died. :( I wonder if these algae shrimp would do better. I don't have any hair algae for them to eat. The hatchery owner said he'd give me some free ghost shrimp the next time I come in, but I'm wondering about the algae shrimp.

Almost certainly Amano shrimp (Caridina japonica). See my gallery.

They're quite hardy, but you do need to keep the water clean.

Yea I think it's amano shrimp too.
They actually look bigger than ghost shrimps, at least the one I saw in our LFS is bigger than ghost shrimps. And more expensive...

Add 1 drop of marine iodine per 5gal, and if you don't have hard water, add a mineral supplement.Your shrimp will live much longer.

Kim

If you can't keep 30 cent ghost shrimp alive. You might want to pass on the 3 dollar shrimp until you are successful with the ghost. Sounds more economical to me :lol:

Madasafish, I looked for your post on the amano shrimp eggs, and I can't find it...I don't want to breed them, but I wanted to read about the amano shrimp. I did do a google search and it said that the shrimp need water between 6 and 7 pH, and 5-10 KH and GH. Except for GH, my tanks aren't in these parameters. (I don't see how the hardness levels could be that high and still have a pH of 6 -7). My other parameters are 0-0-0.

Should I not try the amano shrimp? If ghost shrimp need these parameters too, maybe that's why they didn't make it. I'm pretty sure one ghost shrimp was already dead when I got home, and the other one just hid behind the sponge filter for a few days. I did see him eat a little, but I lifted the sponge filter to check on him and it was apparent that he was dead. :(

Any thoughts on what shrimp I should try (or try again!) would be appreciated! :)

P.S. I would put one shrimp in each of my 5.5 gallon betta tanks. Can one amano shrimp live by itself -- well, with a betta, but will it be ok with no other amanos?

One shrimp can live by itself. If I were you, I'd try a ghost with the betta first. Some like to eat shrimp.

Kim

lol the 1st time io bought a dozen. all of them died. i bought 6 more about 6 months later... 1 alive :). i cant keep em alvive very well.. but the last one seems to be doing pretty well

lol the 1st time io bought a dozen. all of them died. i bought 6 more about 6 months later... 1 alive :). i cant keep em alvive very well.. but the last one seems to be doing pretty well

I have had mixed experiences with ghost shrimp, I've kept some for months, seemingly lost a few, and then discovered new baby shrimp. Ghost shrimp are really easy to breed and with some Java moss in the tank usually 2 or 3 actaully make it. However since i've set up my planted tanks, (lower PH softer water bigger fish) they never live very long. I would also reccomend getting the biggest fattest and possibly the most full of eggs shrimp you can buy. If the female is carrying eggs in the LFS overstocked undermaintained tanks, chances are she will be able to live quite happily in your tanks.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should try again, with either ghost or amano shrimp. The ghost shrimp that lived, only lived for about 6 days. I think my water is too soft for them, or the parameters aren't right for them somehow. I don't really want to change the parameters because the bettas are so happy and healthy. Here's my parameters: (ammonia-nitrite-nitrate are 0-0-0).

Tank 1 -- GH 6, KH 3, pH 7.4

Tank 2 -- GH 5, KH 2, pH 7.2

Tank 1 is about the same parameters as my 33G and my Amano, cherry reds, ghost and Bamboo shrimp don't have any problems. Just as someone said in a previous post, just add some iodide (about 1 drop per 5-10G). Be careful not to overdose. The iodide (same form of iodine) helps the shrimp molt.

Also make sure you have plenty of hiding spots for the shrimp because they are extremely vulnerable right after they molt.

Thanks, Vumeter and everyone! Well, maybe I will give it a try again. I do kinda miss having a shrimp, even if it was for just 6 days. I have a clump of java moss on the gravel for the shrimp (the other clump is positioned near the top of the water for the betta). There are also 7 silk plants in the tank. I hope hiding places will not be a problem. What is the name and the brand of iodide that you use?

I use the Seachem brand. Of the two Kent products, I think you want the iodine one since the only ingredient listed is iodide, while the iodide one lists both iodide and iodine (go figure). The info about the Kent stuff is 2nd hand from other shrimp keepers and I've never looked to verify.

Try to get the smallest bottle you can find since your doses are only several drops.

I looked at DrsFosterSmith.com and they had the Kent products. I went to the Seachem site also. All of these products seemed to be for SW tanks. Is this what you guys use? I also read that iodide is ok, while iodine is toxic. Gettling a little ghost shrimp seems complicated! :)

I also have experienced problems with ghost shrimp. They are very sensitive to rising nitrate levels. I am pretty sure that's what killed them in my tank in the past.

Yeah we use the SW stuff - only time I ever ventured into the SW section :). Iodide is the safe form of iodine. Just don't overdose or drop it directly on the shrimp.

And like fish, shrimp are sensitive to very high nitrate levels and appreciate clean water.

Back
Top Bottom