Alien fish snatchers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay. the alien fish snatchers have attacked my house again. In 1 week, 2 oto cats have disappeared from the same tank. I put her in yesterday, she is gone today. No body, no bones, no nothing. Nothing around the tank or floor. Maybe the other oto just didn't like them and ate them all up... ???

Then a cherry barb is missing from another tank. Again, no sign of anything. My shrimp are missing too. or hiding really well.. Even with water changes, there is no sign of anything.

What are the other tankmates? Any killers in there? Is the tank planted? Alot of times in planted tanks, it takes a few days to find the bodies. I would check everywhere in the tank and around the tank on the floor. I've lost fish and just didn't look good enough. They have to be in there somewhere.

I hate those fish nappers, they tried to take my clown loach, but he hid deep inside a piece of driftwood, fish are weird, they will find the smallest cracks and crevices to get into, they'll beb ack, thy're just hiding, they wil l come out when they feel safe and are hungry

I was looking for a rubber lip pleco today with no success. I put a convict in a tank he had by himself yesterday. Then I was told it was a bad idea so I tried to rescue him. I couldn't find him anywhere even after removing all the tank decorations.

only other inhabitants were the cherry shrimp (oh during a water change today I found 1 shrimp). 1 cherry barb (2 still missing) and 1 male betta. The tank is planted, but not so much that I can't see the bottom or around things. I even pulled up the sponge filter thinking the shrimp were hiding under it... nope, but that is where I found the 1 cherry barb. Good fishy... Hide from the mean fish nappers! I did check the floor and surrounding tank areas very well.. Nothing at all. Not even cat fur collected at the wall joints... hummmm..... And another oto cat is missing from the goldfish tank.... that is 3 oto's in a week, just GONE. I'm telling you.. It is alien fish nappers!

you shouldn't have ottos in a goldfish tnak, they prefer a cold tank of 68 degrees, way less than waht the ottoss prefer, that sucks about your fish, keep digging around they might turn up, if you have cats like I do, they may have gotten them!!! I've lost many a fish to pesky cats of mine, you would think they would stay away from that much water, but no

hahaha I do have cats, but they only lift the lid on one tank to drink water and this is not the tank that has the missing fish. The only other tanks they drink out of are the open betta tanks.

My goldfish tank had a lot of brown algae. The tank is 74-76 degrees and the goldies like it fine. The oto did a great job cleaning the tank before dissappearing.

JustOneMore20 said:
Ottos are pretty good at hide and seek. If you can't find any bodies, they've got to be in there somewhere!

That's true. I couldn't find one for about 5 days....he was dead and buried in the gravel.

Odd timing...I've had three ottos for a few monthes now.For the last ten days I can only find two.This is with me on knees,nose to the glass studying every little nook.Still just two.

Maybe it eloped with the adf because I can't find him either and that started around the same time....

I've had plenty of neons succomb to the alien fish snatcher - I think they go to the same place that those single socks from the dryer go !

Seriously - I think that sometimes small fish just get picked apart very quickly by their tankmates - even peaceful ones like platies. I didn't believe it until I noticed a few individual fish vertebra floating around during a PWC

I'd almost be happy to see some bones.. At least then I would know something.

Just to add a small piece of good news to this thread:

My 5 year old was studying the 29 and pointing out different points of observation.So I said..."if your going to look at the tank that close,find me 3 of these",pointing at the two ottos on a plant.

I had not gotten 6 feet away when she said here they are lol.
Sure as the world she had found all 3.

Now before anyone writes me off as a blind idiot I should say that I did not look before I asked her too.....But I had looked many times before.To the point of writing it off honestly.

But there they are..all 3..on the same plant.

The frog will be back when the aliens are done with it I guess.

I've taken ornaments out and found missing fish inside them. You should thorougly check all ornaments before taking anything out :)

glad to hear the good news SCFatz. But the freaking alien fish snatcher struck again. My remaining cherry barb is now awol. In her place I found 2 cherry shrimp. At least they are really red cherry shrimp. Out of 6 of those, I only see 2. So 3 cherry barbs and 4 cherry shrimp missing.. hummmm does anyone else see a theme here?

Oh my gosh they struck again! Now a gold sword is missing from the other end of the rooms tank. I'm seriously thinking there is a pattern here... red and reddish....fish and stuff....
Come on... where are my fishies and shrimp?
give them back GIVE THEM BACK!!!!!

ok thats horrible.
but i just found a dead danio and i was in the middle of doing something and i came back and its completely gone nowhere to be seen lol.
maybe it just died and went in the filter or something and fell apart

Sorry about the fish snatchers .... I'm going to try and attack mine with antibiotics - I just can't take losing so many fish anymore :(

Hope you find your fish and shrimp soon

Well, I was doing a 50% water change on the 46g and I found 1 of the shrimp. It was under a domed rock I have as a cave with java moss attempting to grow on it. When I flipped it over to check the moss lockdowns, there he was staring at me, then darted off and I have not seen it again. At least one was returned. I hope the others come back soon.

Back
Top Bottom