Ammonia Detoxifier / Dechlorinator scews water measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriscoTX

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a quick test last night to see if my Proquatics dechlorinator is messing with my ammonia readings - sure enough it was. This whole time I've been worried that my ammonia readings were too high, turns out they were off by about 1-2 mg/l. Even after a fresh water change, the new water treated with the dechlorinator showed up like it had 1.0 -2.0 ammonia mg/l

I'm trying to get my new 10gal through its first cycle, but am annoyed that the ammonia readings are off. Should I make smaller water changes and loose the dechlorinator? Or just factor in that my test is inaccurate and keep an eye on Nitrite levels?

Any...well.. "Advice?"

The dechlorinator (water conditioner) should not alter your ammonia readings, but if you are using the ammonia detoxifier product, that will show positive for ammonia even though it has been deactivated.

If you stop using the detoxifier and continue with your water changes, the high ammonia readings should go away as you remove the deactivated ammonia.

I agree to just pay attention to your nitrites for now.

only nessler based ammonia test kits read ammonium as ammonia, giving you false high readings.

find a salicylate ammonia test kit to use instead and you'll never have issues. these test kits have two reagents, and take 5 minutes to develop. nessler kits are only one reagent and you get the results instantly.

Aquarium Pharm. makes both styles.

Back
Top Bottom