Ammonia in tap water using Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon with a female cherry, zebra danio, and pearl gourami. I am considering adding another small fish but want to make sure the bacteria is taking care of the ammonia. Using the liquid API I checked the water in the tank. It came up 1.0 ppm. Not good. I checked the source water and it came up with ammonia as well. I checked the water from my separate 1 gallon betta tank and it came up fine. If I added one drop of prime in a 5ml test tube the ammonia seemed to go away. So I thought I am just not using enough prime. So in a 3 gallon tub I started adding prime to see how much I had to use before the ammonia did not register. I started with 1 ml, then 2 ml, then 3 ml. And the results are all the same (green). I stopped at that point to think about what could be going on. Nitrites are 0 (blue) and nitrates are reasonable (light orange). Any ideas? All I want to do is add one more fish to this tank but I can't get a zero reading for the ammonia

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change. Your BB should convert the ammonia. Maybe you could add a small air powered filter with ammo chips to your water that your going to use for pwc.

prime will turn ammonia to ammonium for about 24 hours!
just when you bacteria take it all out you wont get any reading.

Back
Top Bottom