Angel fish with neon tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium fish lover

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had 3angle fish in a 10gallon aquarium they are medium size
I want to add some schools of neon tetra
But they can live with angles?

Angelfish can coexist with neons, but I would not recommend adding a school of neons to a 10 gal tank that already has 3 angels in it. The 10 gallon is probably on the small-ish size to keep just the 3 angels, once they start to grow.

aquarium fish lover said:
I had 3angle fish in a 10gallon aquarium they are medium size
I want to add some schools of neon tetra
But they can live with angles?

Your tank is way too small. Get at least a forty gallon breeder. Plus, angels eat neons

Your tank is way too small. Get at least a forty gallon breeder. Plus, angels eat neons

They can coexist. I have a friend who has 2 large angels and a school of neons, and everyone gets along fine. However, it is a large tank that is well planted, with plenty of cover for the tetras. There are plenty of folks who keep these 2 species of fish together, and never have issues, especially if you can find full grown or jumbo neons and add them while the angels are still growing.

In a 10 gallon, they would almost certainly run into problems eventually, though, so again I would not recommend adding more to your current setup.

Last edited:
Angels are cichlids and if it will fit in their mouth and they can catch it they will eat it. Just fyi.

Angels are cichlids and if it will fit in their mouth and they can catch it they will eat it. Just fyi.

Again, this is not necessarily true. Many, many people successfully keep neons with angels. Some for many years. What I would say, is that if you attempt it, 1. don't attempt it in a 10 gallon tank, and 2. be prepared that some or all could potentially get eaten. But, if the neons are big enough, and the angels are small enough, they often will do fine together for many years, even after the angels have grown large enough to fit the neons in their mouth.

Here is an example of someone who has kept angels and neons together for decades, and reports no issues: http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/fish/168-angelfish-pterophyllum-scalare.html

I added neons in with my angels (whose fins would probably stick out of the water in a ten gallon) and my angels ate around 4 overnight and died shortly after from What I assume was neon tetra disease

I added neons in with my angels (whose fins would probably stick out of the water in a ten gallon) and my angels ate around 4 overnight and died shortly after from What I assume was neon tetra disease

Yes, it seems like folks who report success add the neons early on, before the angels are grown enough to eat them. They seem to learn to coexist with them, in some cases.

I will say, though, too that I know a guy who added a dozen neons to his 40 with full grown huge angels in it, and they as of yet have not eaten any neons. They have been in the tank over a year.

Again, this is not necessarily true. Many, many people successfully keep neons with angels. Some for many years. What I would say, is that if you attempt it, 1. don't attempt it in a 10 gallon tank, and 2. be prepared that some or all could potentially get eaten. But, if the neons are big enough, and the angels are small enough, they often will do fine together for many years, even after the angels have grown large enough to fit the neons in their mouth.

Here is an example of someone who has kept angels and neons together for decades, and reports no issues: Keeping Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)
Guess i should have added that like most cichlids it will depend on the temperment of the angel also. I have 4 in a 75 and 3 are peaceful but the dominate one will get agressive at times. They are about 4in and growing so I realy dont recomend 3 in a 10g. I should have said it could happen not would.

Guess i should have added that like most cichlids it will depend on the temperment of the angel also. I have 4 in a 75 and 3 are peaceful but the dominate one will get agressive at times. They are about 4in and growing so I realy dont recomend 3 in a 10g. I should have said it could happen not would.

Agree completely :)

It seems like with angels it come come down to the individual personality of a the fish. Some are bullies, some are peaceful.

Right now I have a juvie angel in with a small school of neons and all is well, I'm trying the add the neons when they are bigger than can be eaten method. But I've added neons in with full grown angels and had them all gone in a week. So it comes down to the individual angels. I wouldn't try it in a 10 gallon, though. Angels get too large for even one to be kept in a 10 long term. For three of them I would recommend at least a 40 gallon tank. Even just one angel should have at least a 20 gallon. They need the space. They do grow fairly large. Also, with the lack of space in a 10 it would be nearly impossible for the neons to find hiding spaces if the angels were to become aggressive.

I keep 12 adult angels with all small fish in a 220g planted. None of my large angels care about smaller fish, case in point I just added 15 very small cardinal tetra's about 3 weeks ago and the angels could care less. It depends on the individual fish or group, the size of the tank, and how it's set up. Something else is that small angels with the body size of a dime can easily grow to the body size of a silver dollar and larger within the first year. Mine grew to between the size of a half dollar to the body size of a silver dollar in a years time so you need to think about upgrading their tank sooner than later and until you upgrade you shouldn't add anymore fish IMO.

They'll survive in a bigger and heavy planted tank. You can try the black neon, it's way bigger than the regular neon tetra.

They'll survive in a bigger and heavy planted tank. You can try the black neon, it's way bigger than the regular neon tetra.

Yes, black neons are good as are cardinal tetras which IMO are prettier than neons as well as being larger.

It can be done, but not in a ten gallon. IMO a ten gallon is not big enough for one angel, certainly not with a school of fish with it. The Angel might be small now, but they grow fast if taken care of correctly.

It can be done, but not in a ten gallon. IMO a ten gallon is not big enough for one angel, certainly not with a school of fish with it. The Angel might be small now, but they grow fast if taken care of correctly.

We are talking about in an upgraded tank not the 10g... lol

Back
Top Bottom