angels eyes changed color!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha yeah I've read that before. Helped me identify my type of Angelfish but nothing about the eyes I don't think?

Oooh! He's pretty! I love Angels, I have a couple too! And i was told wrong too and then I found that website and now I know for sure what kind they are!

Ord6531 said:
Yeah, I was kinda bummed that there was nothing about the eyes changing color. I was looking for it on mine, but his eyes stayed the same, just his strips lightened.

Did you turn the tank light and the room light off for a while so its completely dark. Then check?

tarpon said:
Haha yeah I've read that before. Helped me identify my type of Angelfish but nothing about the eyes I don't think?

Hey Tarpon!! Old friend lol! Any way if you click on that link and navigate through the website I'm pretty sure you can get info about eye color. As for the two Angels I have I don't believe their eye color changes but my male has a deeper orange/ red color to his eyes than my female.

What! The stripes on his body disapear completely! Wow. This is so interesting. Ill post a pic of mines eyes in a sec

It does say on that website that most wild angelfish have red eyes but some of the ones in captivity have had the redness in their eyes bred out of them

Alright the first is during the daytime. The second and third are having the lights off a little bit. and the last is after a little bit longer.they are all the same eye.
I guess it is a mood/stress induced change as not all angels do this.(with their eyes)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110813_004800.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110813_004800.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20110813_005000.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110813_005000.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20110813_005126.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110813_005126.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20110813_005321.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110813_005321.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 64
I know right...for some reason he doesn't like my clown loach, and I've noticed that when the loach is near the stripes go away. I just got the clown loach a few days ago, so I haunt noticed it before. Usually when the knight goby comes out, the stipes don't do anything.

Okay, so just some info, I found a few pages that say Angels (being in the Cichlid family) change color based on mood or stress. They can change eyes, and pigment. I'm sure with yours, the light might scare him a bit causing him to change eye color. (same with mine, but except the stripes). Some articles said the more mature the angel is, the better they can "control" their color. Interesting.

i just checked and mine does the same thing! when the lights are off it loses the red, and when the lights are on the red comes back, exactly like yours

Man I had no idea they were that versatile! I will definitely pay more attention to mine. I did notice last night after i added a new rainbow his her eyes were very first Orange.

JoeBob said:
Man I had no idea they were that versatile! I will definitely pay more attention to mine. I did notice last night after i added a new rainbow his her eyes were very first Orange.

Yeah, that would be "fiery" Orange.

Lights on vs Lights off

I got very intrigued this morning and did a very impromptu experiment. These pics aren't the best but I think you can see this fish (VooDoo) seems to have red eyes light or dark and I can't tell if the stripes go away or not. Standing here looking at him/her I can tell the vertical black stripe doesn't seem to go throught the eye like it does when the light is on, but you can't tell from the pics. Sorry for the essay :blink:

Attachments

• IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 46
  • VooDoo.jpg
    VooDoo.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom